School enrolment drive kicks off, children get bags full of Modi
Municipal authorities distributed school bags bearing Chief Minister Narendra Modi's pictures to Standard I students on Thursday, kicking off the three-day school enrolment drive named shala praveshotsav.
Each bag contained a compass box, note books, a water bottle, pencils and slates. Around 5,000 such bags were given away today.
P B Rathod, an education officer with the Surat Municipal Education Board (SMEB), said no official instructions were given to the supplier to put Modi's pictures on the school bags.
"We had only asked for simple bags of good quality," he said.
However, Raees Shaikh, a member of SMEB, said, "The municipal corporation is not a government body. We will not tolerate such mischief. We have come to know that instructions to include Modi's sketches on school bags were given by SMEB chairman Atul Patel. We have asked for an explanation.
- Fixing probe now reaches Bollywood, son of Dara Singh held
- BCCI cashes Pune guarantee, Sahara walks out of IPL
- 'Sree spent Rs 1.95L on clothes, bought friend BlackBerry'
- Delhi firm with MoD as client is linked to Pak cyberattacks
- After Infosys, iGATE sacks Phaneesh Murthy for sexual misconduct
- 2 weeks after harassment, Haryana schoolgirls return, cops in tow