Science Express to raise awareness on biodiversity
- IPL spot-fixing: Chennai Super Kings owner's kin under police scanner
- IPL 2013 LIVE SCORE: Sunrisers Hyderabad vs Rajasthan Royals
- Jessica Lall murder: Actor Shayan Munshi, ballistic expert Manocha to face perjury trial
- BJP tears into UPA govt on 4th anniversary, says it lacks leadership
- BCCI was forced to encash Pune Warriors' bank guarantee: Sanjay Jagdale
Science Express - a 16-coach train for promoting scientific temper - today began its fifth journey, this time to raise awareness about the country's
The 'Science Express - Biodiversity Special (SEBS)' was flagged off by Environment Minister Jayanthi Natarajan and Delhi Chief Minister Sheila Dikshit at the Delhi Safdarjang Railway Station here this morning.
The train will remain at the Safdarjung Railway Station till Thursday after which it will begin its journey to reach out to over a million people.
It will be stationed at Hyderabad from October 9-19 when the city would host the 11th meeting of the Conference of Parties to the Convention on Biological Diversity.
The train will culminate for the year at Gandhinagar on December 22.
Of the 16 coaches comprising the SEBS, eight are dedicated to showcasing biodiversity spread across the various bio-geographical zones - the Trans-Himalaya and the Himalayas, the Gangetic Plain, North East India, the Desert and Semi-Arid Zone, the Western Ghats, the Deccan Peninsula and the Coasts and Islands.
Three other coaches have exhibits on climate change, energy and water conservation.
During June-December 2012, the train will travel almost 18,000 kms, halting for three to four days at each of the 52 locations.
According to the ministry, the exhibition is expected to draw more than 1.5 million visitors, while indirectly it is likely to engage over five million people.
The Science Express began as an Indo-German venture in 2007 and has toured the country four times.
- Fixing probe now reaches Bollywood, son of Dara Singh held
- BCCI cashes Pune Warriors guarantee, 'disgusted' Sahara walks out of IPL
- Sreesanth spent Rs 1.95L on clothes, bought friend BlackBerry, paid in cash: Police
- Delhi firm with MoD as client is linked to Pak cyberattacks
- After Infosys, iGATE sacks Phaneesh Murthy for sexual misconduct
- 2 weeks after harassment, Haryana schoolgirls return, cops in tow