Scribe beaten up for rescuing girl
- IPL spot-fixing case: Actor Vindoo Dara Singh arrested
- IPL 2013: Final No.5 for MS Dhoni-led Chennai Super Kings
- Pune Warriors withdraw from IPL, 'disgusted' by BCCI's attitude
- IPL spot fixing: Accused Sreesanth claims innocence
- Li Keqiang visits TCS, Cyrus P Mistry says China important for growth of Tata Group
Days after a Punjab police ASI paid with his life for trying to protect his daughter, a correspondent with a national television channel was attacked with kirpans on Monday for attempting to shield a girl, who was allegedly being molested by suspected SAD activists at a busy market in Jalandhar. Some shopkeepers, who had tried to come to the journalist's aid, also sustained injuries.
After initial reluctance, the Jalandhar police have registered a case of attempt to murder against 15 people, seven of whom have been rounded up, after journalists in the city blocked traffic at the busy Milap Chowk for about half an hour.
The incident occurred at about six in the evening on Monday, when the girl, an employee at the MBD Market, was returning home on foot after office hours. She was allegedly caught by three 'drunk' youth, who allegedly began molesting her.
NDTV correspondent, Ashwini Malhotra, who was passing through the market, ran to her aid and managed to save her.
The goons allegedly started pushing Malhotra and began to abuse him. While the girl immediately left the spot, her attackers went to a nearby marriage palace and allegedly returned with over two dozen of their accomplices, some of whom were carrying kirpans.
They allegedly began attacking Malhotra with the kirpans, leaving him with injuries on his head, eyes and other parts of his body.
He has been admitted at the Civil Hospital in Jalandhar. While shopkeepers from the market attempted to save the journalist, the attackers were finally overpowered by a huge crowd. An eyewitness said the goons threatened the crowd by claiming to be SAD activists.
Local residents also alleged that police personnel at the Division-3 police station released 14 of the the 20 youth, they had overpowered, before city Police Commissioner Gaurav Yadav and ADCP Navjot Singh Mahal intervened and registered attempt to murder cases against 15 of the attackers. Seven have been nabbed so far.
- 'Sophisticated' Indian cyberattacks targeted Pak military sites: Report
- Talkative Li quoted Weber, Hegel, Jobs, said PM is large-hearted
- Bihar food corp ends up with chaff as rice worth Rs 535 cr vanishes from mills
- In 7 lucrative minutes on May 9, Sreesanth bowled 6 balls, bookie made Rs 2.5 cr
- India and China ask border envoys to work on more steps
- Former Ranji player among 3 more held