Selling a financial plan to an incorrigible shopaholic
- Former Ranji player held, Sreesanth and others to be produced in court today
- Li Keqiang pitches for more Chinese investments as he backs trade balance
- All eyes on Narendra Modi as BJP set to discuss strategy for Lok Sabha polls
- SC agrees to hear PIL to stay IPL matches due to spot-fixing
- Monstrous tornado rips through US city of Oklahoma, 90 dead
My friend Angelina likes life throwing surprises at her …obviously the pleasant ones. Planning for eventualities was never there on her radar.
A chance meeting with her, and I could guess her life was all about shopping, dinning and enjoying.
I asked her, "How are you prepared for your daughter's higher education?"
On this she shot back, "What is there to be prepared about? It will happen and it is good two years away."
I knew this coming from her, so I wasted no time in apprising her that how important it is to be well planned with your expenses, savings and investments so that you remain worry free when the time comes. After giving me a patient hearing, she was ready with her volley of questions.
Sample this: "What will happen to my weekly 'Mall' ing sojourns? What will happen to my gifting sprees? What will happen to my annual vacation? How will I fulfill wants of my 'fashionista in the making' teenage daughter?"
I could sense that she would find it difficult to scrutinise her earning, micromanage her expenses, maintain the account of where and on whom she has spent during the month, which was the first step towards financial planning.
It was just too much to ask from ladies like Angelina. But I was determined to put her money to better use, and so I planned to meet her again.
We met over dinner at a sports club in the vicinity. I had come prepared to put her finances on track.
After a sumptuous dinner, Angelina finally obliged, "OK, will you help me with that?"
To this I replied that only a financial planner could help her. She was quite surprised at that. She quipped, "Till now I have known media planners, town planners, wedding planners or even travel planners but how will a financial planner help?"
- 'Sophisticated' Indian cyberattacks targeted Pak military sites: Report
- Talkative Li quoted Weber, Hegel, Jobs, said PM is large-hearted
- Bihar food corp ends up with chaff as rice worth Rs 535 cr vanishes from mills
- In 7 lucrative minutes on May 9, Sreesanth bowled 6 balls, bookie made Rs 2.5 cr
- India and China ask border envoys to work on more steps
- Former Ranji player among 3 more held