Senate elections: Voters’ list not revised for years, complain candidates
- Sreesanth, Jiju Janardhan lived in independently booked rooms: Cops
- India to convey concerns over Ladakh incursion to Chinese Premier
- IPL 2013 LIVE SCORE: Imperious Azhar Mahmood powers KXIP to 183
- Rajapaksa slams Tamil diaspora for lack of support in reconciliation process
- 5 differently abled orphan girls beaten, raped in Jaipur residential school
Personal campaigning made difficult as some voters died long back
Candidates contesting for the 15 posts on the registered graduates constituency in the Panjab University Senate elections alleged that they faced much trouble and much embarrassment while campaigning, as the voters' list has not been updated for a long time.
Speaking to Newsline, some candidates said that many voters have changed residences, married and left the address mentioned in the voters' details or died. However, details of such voters were not updated, which made door-to-door campaigning troublesome and time consuming.
D P Randhawa, a sitting senator and one of the candidates, said, "Though additions are made in the list, there are no revisions in the details of the voters. Some voters don't even live at the address which is mentioned in the list and we had to arrange for information of their new addresses to visit them".
According to Anu Chatrath, another senate candidate from the same constituency and a sitting senator, personal campaigning was a hassle as it was embarrassing to ask for a voter and be informed that he died years ago. "We went to a voter's house and were told that he died 18 years ago. Another voter had died about 14 years ago. It is embarrassing and also wastes much time when we already have just over a month for campaigning," she said. She added that the voters' list is provided to them only in July after which they can start going to houses to campaign for the elections. "It is a serious problem and should be addressed immediately by the authorities. If I get elected, I will definitely take up the matter in the senate," she said.
Panjab University Registrar, A K Bhandari, said that the lists had been updated by the first week of August and new members were added. However, there is no provision for revision of the voters' list for the senate elections.
- Destitute, orphan students outclass rest in Andhra Class 10 exams
- To re-energise ties, PM wants to visit US, waits for confirmation
- NIA court says no terror link, frees 'Hizbul militant' Liyaqat on bail
- CBI arrests its coal allotments investigator on bribery charge
- ‘Cricketer-bookie Amit may have used Jiju to reach Sree’
- BCCI chief N Srinivasan says police must prove spot-fixing allegations