Sensex slumps to 3-wk low at close, Nifty under 6,000 as Tata Motors, Bharti Airtel, ICICI Bank shares tank
- IPL spot-fixing case: Actor Vindoo Dara Singh arrested
- IPL 2013: Final No.5 for MS Dhoni-led Chennai Super Kings
- Pune Warriors withdraw from IPL, 'disgusted' by BCCI's attitude
- IPL spot fixing: Accused Sreesanth claims innocence
- Li Keqiang visits TCS, Cyrus P Mistry says China important for growth of Tata Group
Kishore P Ostwal, CMD, CNI Research Ltd said: "Tata Motors hit 10 per cent lower on NSE."
Globally, Asian stocks, except Hong Kong and South Korea, ended higher today despite reports of a mild disappointment over China's official manufacturing data. European markets also were trading firm in their afternoon deals.
Back home, 18 scrips out of the 30-share Sensex finished with losses while 12 ended with gains. Other major losers from Sensex pack were ONGC (2.12 pc), Hindalco Ind (1.99 pc), Sterlite Ind (1.71 pc), HUL (1.68 pc), ICICI Bank (1.67 pc), Jindal Steel (1.15 pc), SBI (1.10 pc), BHEL (1.03 pc), HDFC (1.02 pc) and Tata Steel (1.00 pc).
However, Maruti Suzuki firmed up by 1.65 per cent, Cipla 1.58 per cent, Dr Reddy's Lab 1.48 per cent, Tata Power 1.43 per cent, Bajaj Auto 1.26 per cent and RIL 0.78 per cent.
Among sectoral indices, the BSE-Realty fell by 1.16 per cent, followed by BSE-Auto 0.98 per cent, BSE-Bankex 0.79 per cent and BSE-Metal 0.78 per cent. BSE-CD firmed up by 1.77 per cent and BSE-HC by 0.78 per cent.
The market breadth continued to show negative trend as 1,179 shares closed with losses while 979 ended with gains while 839 ruled steady. Total turnover was slightly up at Rs 2,387.02 crore from Rs 2,377.98 crore yesterday.
Foreign institutional investors (FIIs) bought shares worth a net Rs 958.93 crore yesterday, as per provisional data from the stock exchanges.
Stocks More on Bharti Airtel
Company INFO More on ICICI Bank
- Fixing probe now reaches Bollywood, son of Dara Singh held
- BCCI cashes Pune guarantee, Sahara walks out of IPL
- 'Sree spent Rs 1.95L on clothes, bought friend BlackBerry'
- Delhi firm with MoD as client is linked to Pak cyberattacks
- After Infosys, iGATE sacks Phaneesh Murthy for sexual misconduct
- 2 weeks after harassment, Haryana schoolgirls return, cops in tow