Set for Padma-Vadma?
- IPL spot-fixing case: Net widens, police watching 3 more players, other bookies
- IPL 2013: Imperious Brad Hodge powers Rajasthan Royals to qualifier
- Sonia Gandhi, PM Manmohan Singh slam BJP for disrupting Parliament, stalling bills
- IPL spot-fixing: 'Bookie' Vindoo was close to BCCI chief's son-in-law, say cops
- Jessica Lall case: Shayan Munshi to face perjury trial
Set for Padma-Vadma?
While there is no clarity on a Padma for the late Rajesh Khanna, Sridevi, who made a successful comeback with English Vinglish seems likely to get the award this year. The Padmas for 120 eminent personalities will be announced a day before Saturday's Republic Day celebrations.
Defence to Oil, via MSME
In October, senior bureaucrat Vivek Rae was moved out of the defence ministry, where he was director general, Acquisitions, to MSME as secretary. Many were surprised at the unexpected appointment. It now emerges that MSME was a short stop for Rae, who is set to take over as petroleum secretary.
Missile man hits the spot
Former president A P J Abdul Kalam won cheers and some more fans on Thursday when, while delivering the R N Kao memorial lecture, he called for the formation of an independent Indian Intelligence Service for recruitment to intelligence agencies. However, heavyweights who decide the nation's security policy, including the national security adviser and the cabinet secretary, were not present.
A different R-Day message
As Republic Day approaches, watch out for something different in the government advertisements that normally have pictures of Manmohan Singh and Sonia Gandhi on a tricolour background. After investing in a few meetings, I&B Minister Manish Tewari has concluded that the money — about Rs 3.5 crore by the I&B Ministry and about Rs 6 crore by other ministries — might be spent better if the ads conveyed some message. As a result, at least eight ministries including HRD, Health, Minority Affairs, Rural Development and Social Justice have redone their ads to include details of work done by them.
A cop at Jaipur Lit Fest
- Paddy shortfall blamed for mystery death of procurement officer
- 'Bookie' Vindoo was close to BCCI chief’s son-in-law: cops
- Net widens, police watching three more players, new set of bookies
- Suspected Islamists behead soldier on London street
- Malegaon 2006 case: NIA names four right wing terror suspects
- BJP invokes 'sarcasm, ridicule' against PM