Seven of highway robbers’ gang arrested by police
- IPL spot-fixing case: Actor Vindoo Dara Singh arrested
- IPL 2013: Final No.5 for MS Dhoni-led Chennai Super Kings
- Pune Warriors withdraw from IPL, 'disgusted' by BCCI's attitude
- IPL spot fixing: Accused Sreesanth claims innocence
- Li Keqiang visits TCS, Cyrus P Mistry says China important for growth of Tata Group
Batala police has arrested seven members of a highway robbers' gang, who used to carry out robberies by targeting vehicles of other states passing through Punjab.
The robbers, Batala SSP Tulsi Ram said, used to rob people by guising themselves as policemen and using an Innova with a red-beacon atop. "On December 30, they had robbed tourists from Rajasthan who were on their way to Vaishno Devi on an Innova. The accused intercepted the tourists near Dasuya and intimidated them by saying that there were drugs in their vehicle. They brought the tourists to Ghumman before decamping with all the tyres and jewellery," said Ram.
The accused, who were arrested on Sunday, have been identified as Satnam Singh, Raghbir Singh, Daljinder Singh, Harjinder Singh, Baljit Singh, Robin and Harpreet. All belong to families of agriculturists.
Two of their accomplices were still at large, said the SSP, adding that the gang members have confessed to carrying out 14 highway robberies since May 2012.
- Fixing probe now reaches Bollywood, son of Dara Singh held
- BCCI cashes Pune guarantee, Sahara walks out of IPL
- 'Sree spent Rs 1.95L on clothes, bought friend BlackBerry'
- Delhi firm with MoD as client is linked to Pak cyberattacks
- After Infosys, iGATE sacks Phaneesh Murthy for sexual misconduct
- 2 weeks after harassment, Haryana schoolgirls return, cops in tow