Sex and Navratri: 43 short stories
- IPL spot-fixing: Chennai Super Kings owner's kin under police scanner
- BJP tears into UPA govt on 4th anniversary, says it lacks leadership
- Jessica Lal murder: Actor Shayan Munshi, ballistic expert Manocha to face perjury trial
- India seeks access from US to 26/11 terror convicts Headley, Rana
- BSE Sensex falls 49 pts, Larsen & Toubro Limited shares hit by Q4 data
My colleague Brian received this message in his email box today:
I would like to bring to your notice one interesting issue in India. I hope that this news will be of great entertainment to peoples of your country.
There is increase in sexual activities during Hindu religious annual 9 night's festival Navratri in Gujarat and Mumbai. Please go through the links on my blog to read and watch news video on this topic which has appeared in the Indian media during past few years.
I request you to expose this issue in your media during this year Navratri (October 16, 2012 to October 24, 2012). You can also repeat this issue every year during September/October during Navratri.
Thanks & Best Regards,
Mr. Gavade, consider it done.
For readers who are unfamiliar with Navratri, here's an excerpt from a 2007 story, which is included among the items on the Navratri blog. You may notice a similarity among many of the other stories posted on the site. The meta journalism lesson is that you really can write the same story over and over.
Parents in western India are hiring private detectives to spy on their teenage children during a nine-day Hindu festival when late-night dance celebrations attract tens of thousands of youngsters. "It is strange to pay someone to keep a night watch on my daughters but it is better than regretting later," said S. Doshi, a 42-year-old mother of two girls, aged 17 and 19. Doshi used a detective agency to keep a vigil on her daughters, who dress up in revealing clothes every night and hop across several dance venues, eat and go for long drives with their friends. "Children can do anything. Drugs, unprotected sex and bad company are my main worry," said Doshi, a resident of Ahmedabad, the main city of the western state of Gujarat.
- Fixing probe now reaches Bollywood, son of Dara Singh held
- BCCI cashes Pune Warriors guarantee, 'disgusted' Sahara walks out of IPL
- Sreesanth spent Rs 1.95L on clothes, bought friend BlackBerry, paid in cash: Police
- Delhi firm with MoD as client is linked to Pak cyberattacks
- After Infosys, iGATE sacks Phaneesh Murthy for sexual misconduct
- 2 weeks after harassment, Haryana schoolgirls return, cops in tow