Onboard shopping in Shatabdi exp soon
- BCCI says it can't control bookies, promises to 'fix' guilty players
- Counter-terrorism to top Indo-US Security dialogue agenda: Sushilkumar Shinde
- IPL 2013 LIVE SCORE: Pune Warriors bat, Ashok Dinda back
- Chinese Premier Li Keqiang arrives today, PM to seek early revival of border talks
- Telangana very much part of UPA national agenda: P C Chacko
Long journeys on premier Shatabdi trains are set to get interesting with the Railways deciding to introduce onboard shopping facility for a range of luxury product.
Perfumes, skincare products, handbags, watches and exquisite jewellery among other gift items will be available on sale in Shatabdi trains in Executive Class and Chair Cars, a senior Railway Ministry official said.
For chocolate lovers, trolleys showcasing luxury items will have a fabulous range of delicious chocolates, the official said. Besides, there will also be souvenirs associated with railways on offer for Shatabdi passengers.
A firm has been engaged to provide on-board facility on a pilot basis in Shatabdi trains for a month, he said, adding, "It will begin shortly with Bhopal Shatabdi. The shopping experience on trolley will also be carried out in other Shatabdi trains to ascertain the response."
As per the arrangement, the firm has deposited Rs two lakh as security money and will also pay 12 per cent of the sale to railways.
Based on the response, Railways will decide to expand the trolley service on a long-term basis. "A tendering process will be opted to select the firm for providing on-board shopping facility on regular basis in Shatabdi trains," the official said.
There will be two trolleys in each Shatabdi which will cover the entire train during the scheduled journey hour.
Aiming at providing more facilities in premier trains, Railways are also planning to introduce on-board entertainment systems in Shatabdi trains where the passengers can view movies and television serials directly via satellite.
Besides, there is also an attempt to improve on-board cleaning service in trains.
"Our aim is to provide better facilities and amenities to passengers in trains and stations so the journey becomes more enjoyable," he said.
- Quake-hit and shaken, Bhaderwah spends nights in the open
- UP blast accused dies on way to jail, govt wanted to drop case against him
- Former civil aviation secy changes mind, seeks airport security exemption as EC
- BCCI suspects Gujarat players in other teams were also approached
- Police on money trail, Sreesanth in fresh trouble
- Chhattisgarh 'encounter' leaves 8 villagers dead, no Maoist link yet