SI granted bail in bribery case
- Trouble mounts for Sreesanth as Mumbai cops gather more evidence
- SIT to seek Supreme Court guidance on Maya Kodnani death penalty issue
- Tamil Nadu police bans Yasin Malik-linked pro-Eelam public meeting
- Kings XI Punjab end IPL 2013 campaign with a win
- Narendra Modi: India losing sheen as agricultural nation
Chandigarh:As ordered by a Special CBI Court on Friday, Sub-Inspector (SI) Kulwaranjit Singh, who was caught by CBI sleuths allegedly taking an illegal gratification of Rs 30,000 has been granted bail. However, he has been asked to deposit Rs 30,000 as fine in the court. The CBI sleuths arrested the SI taking the bribe money from an accused, Harbans Singh, involved in an assault case after a complaint made by Manpreet Singh, brother of Harbans. In the complaint, it was stated that Kulwaranjit, who was the investigating officer of a case under which Harbans was booked, allegedly demanded a bribe of Rs 30,000 to book his brother only on charges of voluntarily causing hurt and criminal intimidation instead of attempt to murder.
Jail warden sentenced for accepting bribe
Chandigarh:A special CBI Court on Friday sentenced a former jail warden of Burail Model Jail, Satish Kumar, to two years of imprisonment and fined him an amount of Rs 2,000, after he was held guilty of accepting an illegal gratification from an inmate on the premise of providing him (the inmate) with better facilities in prison. Satish was arrested after a complaint made by Jasbir Singh, the inmate's cousin. Satish allegedly contacted Jasbir after he finished his duty hours and asked him to come to his residence in Kajheri with Rs 5,000 in cash.
Charges framed against man for killing wife
Chandigarh:A local court on Friday framed charges of murdering wife and destruction of evidence against Vajinder Singh, who, along with his paramour Renu, allegedly killed Vajinder's wife near Hoshiarpur. The court adjourned the case till November 23. The police had charge-sheeted the two accused, Vajinder, a fast food joint employee, and his girlfriend Renu. They allegedly strangulated Vajinder's wife, Pooja, with a cloth and dumped her body in the bushes in a deserted area in Hoshiarpur. Later the duo set Pooja's body on fire. The incident took place on July 13, 2012 and police registered a case when a missing report was lodged by the victim's family.
- Quake-hit and shaken, Bhaderwah spends nights in the open
- UP blast accused dies on way to jail, govt wanted to drop case against him
- Former civil aviation secy changes mind, seeks airport security exemption as EC
- BCCI suspects Gujarat players in other teams were also approached
- Mumbai police say they too may seek custody of arrested pacer
- Chhattisgarh 'encounter' leaves 8 villagers dead, no Maoist link yet