Soni Sori needs psychological counselling: NCW
- IPL spot-fixing case: Actor Vindoo Dara Singh arrested
- IPL 2013: Final No.5 for MS Dhoni-led Chennai Super Kings
- Pune Warriors withdraw from IPL, 'disgusted' by BCCI's attitude
- IPL spot fixing: Accused Sreesanth claims innocence
- Li Keqiang visits TCS, Cyrus P Mistry says China important for growth of Tata Group
National Commission for Women (NCW) member Shamina Shafiq, who visited Raipur Central Jail yesterday where Sori has been lodged, said it would be difficult for her to survive if she was not provided proper counselling.
Sori, the 36-year-old teacher in a government school in one of India's worst Naxal-hit district Dantewada, was arrested in Delhi in October last year on charges of receiving money on behalf of Maoists from a corporate entity.
She had later accused Chhattisgarh police of torturing her in police custody.
"She (Sori) has been through so much whether outside or inside.
We had a long discussion.
She needs psychological help and a lot of counselling," Shafiq told PTI.
"If she is not counselled, then it would be very difficult for her to survive in such circumstances," she said.
Sori had also handed over a letter to her, Shafiq said, but refused to reveal its contents.
Shafiq also met with other women prisoners, including two detained on charges of being Maoist conduits.
She asked jail authorities to work on psychological counselling for inmates, particularly women.
"Women carry the emotional burden.
When they are behind bars and family members are not visiting them, they go through a lot of mental trauma and need psychological help from time to time," Shafiq stressed.
She also pointed out lack of police personnel in the jail, leading to insecurity.
"The women prisoners cannot go for hearing sometimes owing to lack of police personnel to escort them to the courts," she noted.
The non-availability of adequate number of police personnel is one of the basic problems here, she said.
- 'Sophisticated' Indian cyberattacks targeted Pak military sites: Report
- Talkative Li quoted Weber, Hegel, Jobs, said PM is large-hearted
- Bihar food corp ends up with chaff as rice worth Rs 535 cr vanishes from mills
- In 7 lucrative minutes on May 9, Sreesanth bowled 6 balls, bookie made Rs 2.5 cr
- India and China ask border envoys to work on more steps
- Former Ranji player among 3 more held