They tried to throw her friend out, she fought back: Police
- Former Ranji player held, Sreesanth and others to be produced in court today
- Li Keqiang pitches for more Chinese investments as he backs trade balance
- All eyes on Narendra Modi as BJP set to discuss strategy for Lok Sabha polls
- SC agrees to hear PIL to stay IPL matches due to spot-fixing
- Monstrous tornado rips through US city of Oklahoma, 90 dead
Surrounded by unruly men who aggressively picked on her friend for trying to defend her, the 23-year-old paramedic student put up stiff resistance. As the woman fought back, the men ganged up and dragged her to the rear of the bus, police said.
Her friend, a 28-year-old engineer, was restrained by men from the group.
Police said soon after they boarded the bus, one of the men asked for Rs 10 each for tickets. As the bus crossed Vasant Gaon, three men came out of the driver's cabin and began misbehaving.
The engineer, in his statement to police, said the men asked him why was he out with a woman so late in the night. This angered him and he got into an argument with the men. "When the friend resisted, the accused beat him mercilessly with an iron rod. He suffered injuries on his head, arms and legs," DCP (South) Chhaya Sharma said.
To rescue her friend, the woman tried to pull the men away. They punched her in the stomach and face. To get away, the woman bit the main accused Ram Singh on his hand, police said.
Police Commissioner Neeraj Kumar said: "The woman put up stiff resistance. She fought bravely and tried saving her friend, who was trying to save her."
During questioning, the men told police that they were offended by a woman talking back to them. "To teach the woman a lesson", as the men said during questioning, they dragged her to the rear of the bus and took turns to rape her, police said.
- 'Sophisticated' Indian cyberattacks targeted Pak military sites: Report
- Talkative Li quoted Weber, Hegel, Jobs, said PM is large-hearted
- Bihar food corp ends up with chaff as rice worth Rs 535 cr vanishes from mills
- In 7 lucrative minutes on May 9, Sreesanth bowled 6 balls, bookie made Rs 2.5 cr
- India and China ask border envoys to work on more steps
- Former Ranji player among 3 more held