Sood enters quarters in both singles, doubles sections
- IPL spot-fixing case: Actor Vindoo Dara Singh arrested in Mumbai
- Supreme Court rules out ban on IPL matches, slams BCCI over spot-fixing
- Li Keqiang pitches for more Chinese investments as he backs trade balance
- Narendra Modi holds talks with Advani ahead of BJP's strategy meeting in Delhi
- Aarushi murder case: HC rejects Talwars' plea to examine 14 witnesses
After cruising to an easy victory in the men's singles pre-quarterfinals match to enter the last eight stage, when Chandril Sood returned to the court to pair with his twin brother, Lakshit Sood, in the doubles match, the moments that ensued were not what he had expected.
The opponents that they were to face to secure a berth in the quarters did not show up and that allowed the Sood brothers to keep their legs fresh for the following day. That meant Chandril will have another shot at winning twin titles in the CLTA-AITA Chandigarh Open-1 lakh men and women tennis tournament at the CLTA Stadium.
Earlier, in the singles match against Suresh Desai of Gujarat, Chandril was in top form. The top seed was hardly tested as he raced to 6-2 victory in the first set and then claimed the second set with the same margin to surge ahead. While other seeded players registered facile victories, there was bad news for Siddesh Khade of Maharashtra, the sixth seed, as he was disposed of by qualifier Dhruv Goyal of Delhi, 6-3, 6-1, in a lop-sided encounter.
Vikrant Dahiya, who produced a great performance the previous day, looked off colour and was shown the exit door by Yuvraj Singh. Vikrant started off well and claimed the first set 6-0 but Yuvraj fought back in the second set and won 6-4. Then it was all Yuvraj as he lost just one game in the final set to win 6-1.
Meanwhile, Shweta Rana, the top seed in women's section, also registered an easy victory over Renu Sharma. She won 6-0, 6-4.
Main Draw: Pre-Quarter: Men's Singles: Chandril Sood bt. Suraj Desai 6-2, 6-2; Sagar Ahuja bt. Surinder Pal Singh 6-7 (5), 6-3, 6-0; Sagar Manjana bt. Murtaza Lohani 6-2, 6-4; Dhruv Goyal bt. Siddhesh Khade 6-3, 6-1; Anubhav Chaudhari bt Gurvinder Mann 7-6(9), 6-3; Lakshit Sood bt. Kapil Ghraiya 6-3, 6-0; Yuvraj Singh bt. Vikrant Dahiya 0-6, 6-4, 6-1; Brahmjot Singh bt. Sahil Sachdeva 6-4, 6-3;
- 'Sophisticated' Indian cyberattacks targeted Pak military sites: Report
- Talkative Li quoted Weber, Hegel, Jobs, said PM is large-hearted
- Bihar food corp ends up with chaff as rice worth Rs 535 cr vanishes from mills
- In 7 lucrative minutes on May 9, Sreesanth bowled 6 balls, bookie made Rs 2.5 cr
- India and China ask border envoys to work on more steps
- Former Ranji player among 3 more held