Spoken Wikipedia in 20 Indian languages launched
- Former Ranji player held, Sreesanth and others to be produced in court today
- Li Keqiang pitches for more Chinese investments as he backs trade balance
- All eyes on Narendra Modi as BJP set to discuss strategy for Lok Sabha polls
- SC agrees to hear PIL to stay IPL matches due to spot-fixing
- Monstrous tornado rips through US city of Oklahoma, 90 dead
Spoken Wikipedia to be be available in 20 major Indian languages was launched at a summit held at Azam campus on Saturday.
The two-day summit organised by Wikipedia Club Pune (WCP) began on January 12 focusing on increasing quality content of Wikipedia and its sister projects.
The club holds several workshops, activities and projects throughout the year where volunteers are encouraged to join and participate in its activities.
"Spoken Wikipedia in Indian languages is a project undertaken by WCP to give a voice to Indian community and create a knowledge domain of information related to India and its languages through audio recordings of the articles (in various native Indian languages)," said Abhishek suryavanshi, director, Wikipedia summit.
The project will support the articles on English Wikipedia and the important articles will be available on Wikipedia of certain Indian languages as well.
Suryavanshi said the aim of the project is twofold - to create articles on India and Indian languages and to have them recorded as audio files.
"Although internet is not widely popular, mobile penetration is really good in rural India. This initiative will help people in gaining knowledge on various topics," added Suryavanshi.
The aim of the summit is also to bring together ideas for the promotion of Wikipedia in India and the ways it can help in the field of education. "India will be effectively represented and put under a spotlight through projects like Spoken Wikipedia. The issues of health and gender-gap will also be discussed in detail and an agenda will be formed by the end of the summit," said Suryavanshi. This action plan will be followed through projects and activities that will continue throughout the year.
- 'Sophisticated' Indian cyberattacks targeted Pak military sites: Report
- Talkative Li quoted Weber, Hegel, Jobs, said PM is large-hearted
- Bihar food corp ends up with chaff as rice worth Rs 535 cr vanishes from mills
- In 7 lucrative minutes on May 9, Sreesanth bowled 6 balls, bookie made Rs 2.5 cr
- India and China ask border envoys to work on more steps
- Former Ranji player among 3 more held