Srinagar attack stalls Parliament as BJP demands end to beheadings, killings, bombings
- Spot-fixing: Chandila was in touch with four sets of bookies, says Delhi Police
- Chinese Premier Li Keqiang arrives, to hold talks with PM on boundary, water issues
- IPL 2013: Delhi Daredevils crash to defeat, finish last
- Jaganmohan's wife attacks CBI, accuses it of working at Congress behest
- Blast accused death: UP govt seeks CBI probe, FIR against 42 persons
Question Hour was stalled in both the Houses of Parliament today as UPA constituent DMK and Opposition members created uproar over the arrest of Indian fishermen by Sri Lanka and the Srinagar attack by militants.
DMK and AIADMK members trooped into the Well of the Lok Sabha while three AIADMK members squatted in the Well of the Rajya Sabha demanding that the government make efforts to ensure release of over 50 fishermen arrested by the Sri Lankan navy.
In the Lok Sabha, trouble began as soon as Speaker Meira Kumar made an obituary reference to the five CRPF jawans killed in a terror attack in Srinagar yesterday.
Leader of the Opposition Sushma Swaraj demanded a statement on the attack from Home Minister Sushilkumar Shinde, who was not present in the House.
"Does our duty get over after paying homage to the victims every time a terror attack takes place. They come here and behead our soldier, they dress up as sportsmen and carry out suicide attacks. How long will this continue," she asked.
BJP members were on their feet raising slogans against the government and demanding Prime Minister Manmohan Singh and Shinde's presence in the House.
Minister of State for Parliamentary Affairs Pawan Singh Ghatowar's assurance that the Home Minister would make a statement at noon failed to pacify the opposition members.
DMK, AIADMK, CPI and VCK members were in the Well waving placards demanding the release of Indian fishermen arrested by the Sri Lankan navy.
The Speaker made repeated appeals to the members to return to their seats and raise the issue during Zero Hour. As members were unrelenting, she adjourned the House till noon.
In the Rajya Sabha, V Maitreyan (AIADMK) raised the issue of fishermen and soon rushed to the Well and reached close to the podium.
- Former Ranji player among 3 more held
- Rajasthan Royals to file FIR against tainted trio
- If found guilty, BCCI to ask ICC to erase Sreesanth records
- Top cops among 42 named in death of blast accused
- PM takes tough line on incursion issue
- Security forces blame Maoists, villagers say CoBRA man was killed in ‘friendly fire’