Stalker held for molesting woman, threatening to throw acid on her face
- IPL spot-fixing: Chennai Super Kings owner's kin under police scanner
- BJP tears into UPA govt on 4th anniversary, says it lacks leadership
- Jessica Lal murder: Actor Shayan Munshi, ballistic expert Manocha to face perjury trial
- India seeks access from US to 26/11 terror convicts Headley, Rana
- BSE Sensex falls 49 pts, Larsen & Toubro Limited shares hit by Q4 data
Samta Nagar police Friday arrested a Dahisar resident and booked him for molesting and intimidating a married woman in public. He reportedly threatened to thow acid to disfigure the face of the woman whom he has allegedly been stalking and harassing for the past few months.
Police said Mayur Dedhia (33), an employee with a jewellery store in Kandivali, and the victim got to know each other through mutual acquaintances.
The woman is 36 years old and has a 12-year-old daughter.
She was separated from her husband in 2006, after which Dedhia had visited her and proposed to her.
The victim rejected his proposal and a furious Dedhia allegedly started harassing her.
The victim has told the police that Dedhia had created a scene outside her house two months ago.
"On Friday evening, the victim was on her way to the market with her daughter when Dedhia accosted them. He manhandled the victim in public and threatened to throw acid on her face and disfigure her if she continued to reject him," said an officer.
Dedhia's actions sparked an uproar in the area, with people gathering around the scene. This attracted attention of two patrolling constables. Based on the victim's statements and eyewitness accounts, Dedhia was taken into custody, and subsequently arrested.
"Dedhia has been charged with outraging a woman's modesty and criminal intimidation. After being produced in court Saturday, he was remanded in judicial custody. The victim has told us that she had filed several non-cognisable complaints against him in the past, and we are cross-checking this in our records," said senior inspector Nanasaheb Kamble.
- Fixing probe now reaches Bollywood, son of Dara Singh held
- BCCI cashes Pune Warriors guarantee, 'disgusted' Sahara walks out of IPL
- Sreesanth spent Rs 1.95L on clothes, bought friend BlackBerry, paid in cash: Police
- Delhi firm with MoD as client is linked to Pak cyberattacks
- After Infosys, iGATE sacks Phaneesh Murthy for sexual misconduct
- 2 weeks after harassment, Haryana schoolgirls return, cops in tow