State to have surplus of 1,369 MW next fiscal
- IPL spot-fixing case: Net widens, police watching 3 more players, other bookies
- IPL 2013 LIVE SCORE: Regular wickets keep Sunrisers Hyderabad in the hunt
- Sonia Gandhi, PM Manmohan Singh slam BJP for disrupting Parliament, stalling bills
- IPL spot-fixing: 'Bookie' Vindoo was close to BCCI chief's son-in-law, say cops
- Jessica Lall case: Shayan Munshi to face perjury trial
Marking a turnaround in generation, power-deficit Maharashtra will have a surplus of 1,369 MW in 2013-14 fiscal riding on strong capacity addition by private players as well state-owned utilities. The state has a deficit of 1,474 MW (till September in 2012-13).
In response to an RTI by The Indian Express, Maharashtra State Electricity Distribution Company (MSEDC) said, "The surplus power after timely completion of projects is 1,369 MW for 2013-14 and 898 MW for 2014-15."
MSEDC said private producers have added 320 MW this year and will add another 1,590 MW this year. In 2013-14 they will add another 3,045 MW. On the other hand the state-owned utilities have added 500 MW this year and will add another 1,000 MW in the remaining part of the year. In 2013-14 they will add 1,910 MW.
Thus total power addition from both private and state-owned producers will be 3,410 MW in 2012-13 and 4,955 MW in 2013-14. This will not only make the state self sufficient in terms of power needs but also bring it to a situation where it can offer excess power to states that need them.
The gap between demand and supply stood at 1,474 MW in the first six months of the financial year 2012-13. Over the last four years the gap between demand of power by the state and supply has been coming down.The shortfall that stood at 2,743 MW in 2009-10 came down to 2,180 MW in 2011-11 and then to 2,090 MW in 2011-12.
The projects by private players include 3,300 MW Tiroda power plant by Adani Power and 1,350 MW MW power plant by Indiabulls in Amaravati.
In stage 1, the state government has contracted for a capacity of 1,320 MW from Adani Power Maharashtra at the tariff of Rs 2.642 per kwh.
- Fixing probe now reaches Bollywood, son of Dara Singh held
- BCCI cashes Pune Warriors guarantee, 'disgusted' Sahara walks out of IPL
- Sreesanth spent Rs 1.95L on clothes, bought friend BlackBerry, paid in cash: Police
- Delhi firm with MoD as client is linked to Pak cyberattacks
- After Infosys, iGATE sacks Phaneesh Murthy for sexual misconduct
- 2 weeks after harassment, Haryana schoolgirls return, cops in tow