Still in good touch, why has Virat Kohli not found runs?
- IPL spot-fixing case: Actor Vindoo Dara Singh arrested
- IPL 2013: Final No.5 for MS Dhoni-led Chennai Super Kings
- Pune Warriors withdraw from IPL, 'disgusted' by BCCI's attitude
- IPL spot fixing: Accused Sreesanth claims innocence
- Li Keqiang visits TCS, Cyrus P Mistry says China important for growth of Tata Group
That innings ended with a soft dismissal - an airy drive caught at short cover. In the second innings, when Panesar and Swann were looking almost unplayable, Kohli was out to a delivery that didn't even have a chance to gain assistance from the pitch. The full toss caught him low on the bat with a dull thud, turning it in his hands, and the ball looped into mid off's hands.
It was probably Kohli's ugliest-looking dismissal of the series, but also perhaps the unluckiest. The shot was on, and India were struggling to find such scoring opportunities, and it somehow went completely awry. The result: a third failure in four innings. The other was a not out score in a small fourth innings chase. Kohli isn't out of form, but he will be if he doesn't make runs soon.
Due a biggie
The way he has looked at the crease, in the middle and in the nets, suggests that he might be due a big score. This might well be the case. But he might have to see out dry spells, with few scoring opportunities, like the ones at Ahmedabad and in the first innings in Mumbai, and pick the right moments to release the pressure.
Simpler still, he could borrow a trick from Cheteshwar Pujara, and be a little more aware of scoring opportunities against the spinners. Pujara defends spinners when he has to, but quite often he waits a moment to tuck the ball behind square leg or glide it wide of point for a single. Kohli's field of vision seems narrower, alert to the loose ball but not so much to the ball slightly off line or length to work for singles. This was supposed to be a problem area for the visiting batsmen; Kohli could have a mild case of it too.
- 'Sophisticated' Indian cyberattacks targeted Pak military sites: Report
- Talkative Li quoted Weber, Hegel, Jobs, said PM is large-hearted
- Bihar food corp ends up with chaff as rice worth Rs 535 cr vanishes from mills
- In 7 lucrative minutes on May 9, Sreesanth bowled 6 balls, bookie made Rs 2.5 cr
- India and China ask border envoys to work on more steps
- Former Ranji player among 3 more held