Stop giving absurd solutions, HC tells Nirmal Baba
- Spot-fixing: Chandila was in touch with four sets of bookies, says Delhi Police
- Chinese Premier Li Keqiang arrives, to hold talks with PM on boundary, water issues
- IPL 2013: Delhi Daredevils crash to defeat, finish last
- Jaganmohan's wife attacks CBI, accuses it of working at Congress behest
- Blast accused death: UP govt seeks CBI probe, FIR against 42 persons
Asking self-styled godman Nirmal Baba to stop giving "absurd" or "illogical" solutions to his disciples, the Delhi High Court today restrained a vernacular media portal from writing or publishing any defamatory material against him.
In a 22-page judgement, Justice Kailash Gambhir came down heavily on the Baba, who had sought a direction to stop Hindi portal bhadas4media from posting alleged defamatory articles, for suggesting "highly irrational" and "weird" solutions to disciples like "to eat rabri' and 'masala dosa to overcome their miseries" and said they are bound to result in backlash by the media and other such agencies.
The court, while granting conditional injunction against the web site, said filing of defamation suit is a right of Baba and "but the same cannot be allowed to become a lethal weapon in sabotaging the freedom of the press."
"It is a fit case for the grant of a conditional injunction.
"The defendants (website and Yashwant Singh) are restrained from licensing, writing, publishing, hosting or advertising any defamatory material against the plaintiff (Baba) on their website or through any other print/electronic media to defame the reputation of the plaintiff.
"Subject to the condition that the plaintiff (Baba) also restrains himself in future from giving any kind of absurd or illogical solutions to his disciples and others, and, confines his discourses to all such kind of teachings through which the life of common man can improve and improve in the right direction," the court said
The court said, "The plaintiff (Baba) advising his disciples in the Samagams and through media, millions of people watching television, to open black purse at the time of showering of his blessings then the same will result in inflow of money to them.
"...Likewise to tell people to eat rabri, masala dosa or paani poori to overcome their miseries, are the kind of solutions which are highly irrational, weird and unacceptable to commonsensical notions, bound to result in backlash by the media and other such agencies...."
- Quake-hit and shaken, Bhaderwah spends nights in the open
- UP blast accused dies on way to jail, govt wanted to drop case against him
- Former civil aviation secy changes mind, seeks airport security exemption as EC
- BCCI suspects Gujarat players in other teams were also approached
- Police on money trail, Sreesanth in fresh trouble
- Chhattisgarh 'encounter' leaves 8 villagers dead, no Maoist link yet