Suicide attacks target Afghan cities, one foiled
- IPL spot-fixing case: Net widens, police watching 3 more players, other bookies
- IPL 2013: Imperious Brad Hodge powers Rajasthan Royals to qualifier
- Sonia Gandhi, PM Manmohan Singh slam BJP for disrupting Parliament, stalling bills
- IPL spot-fixing: 'Bookie' Vindoo was close to BCCI chief's son-in-law, say cops
- Jessica Lall case: Shayan Munshi to face perjury trial
Two Taliban suicide bombers killed three members of Afghan security forces Sunday, but a third attack in Kabul's diplomatic enclave was foiled when police shot dead the would-be assailant, officials said.
The attacker in Kabul was armed with a suicide vest and his SUV was full of explosives, but police opened fire as he tried to penetrate deeper into the diplomatic enclave of Wazir Akbar Khan, officials said.
In the day's first attack, a suicide bomber rammed an explosives-laden car into a spy agency facility in the town of Jalalabad, 150 km from Kabul.
It was followed by a similar attack on a police base in Puli Alam, 70 kilometres south of the capital, officials said. One policeman was killed and two others were wounded.
Taliban spokesman Zabihullah Mujahed claimed responsibility for the attacks in Puli Alam and Jalalabad, but denied that it was involved in the foiled attack in Kabul.
Authorities had earlier said that two would-be suicide bombers were killed in Kabul. But city police chief Mohammad Ayoub Salangi said only one attacker was involved. "We have intelligence about this. The bomber was shot dead and his car bomb has been defused,"Salangi said.
In Jalalabad, police spokesman Hazrat Hussain Mashriqiwal said the bomber rammed his car into the gates of the walled compound of a National Directorate of Security branch and detonated bombs. "There was a suicide car bombing and two intelligence workers were killed and three wounded," Mashriqiwal said.
Also in Logar province, south of Kabul, a suicide bomber detonated his vest while being searched wounding one policeman.
US forces must leave Wardak in 2 weeks: Karzai
KABUL: Afghanistan's President Hamid Karzai said all US special forces must leave eastern Wardak province within two weeks because of allegations that Afghans working with them are torturing and abusing other Afghans. Presidential spokesman Aimal Faizi said Sunday's decision was taken during a meeting of the National Security Council. AP
- Paddy shortfall blamed for mystery death of procurement officer
- 'Bookie' Vindoo was close to BCCI chief’s son-in-law: cops
- Net widens, police watching three more players, new set of bookies
- Suspected Islamists behead soldier on London street
- Malegaon 2006 case: NIA names four right wing terror suspects
- BJP invokes 'sarcasm, ridicule' against PM