Supreme Court provides relief to Kerala woman raped by 42 men
- IPL spot-fixing case: Actor Vindoo Dara Singh arrested in Mumbai
- IPL 2013 LIVE SCORE: Chennai Super Kings bat, Sachin Tendulkar still out
- Pune Warriors withdraw from IPL, 'disgusted' by BCCI's attitude
- IPL spot fixing: How Sreesanth splurged money on girlfriend
- Li Keqiang visits TCS, Cyrus P Mistry says China important for growth of Tata Group
A Kerala woman who was raped for over 40 days by 42 different men finally got some relief today. The Supreme Court overruled the verdict of the Kerala High Court which had found just one man guilty, and had acquitted 35 others in the case.
The victim from Suryanelli in Idukki district of Kerala was 16 years old when she was abducted in January 1996 and passed from man to man across the Tamil Nadu border before being abandoned.
The apex court on January 3, this year had decided to hear the appeal against the acquittal of the 35 accused on an urgent basis. The case had been lying pending with the Court for the last eight years. The court passed the order on an appeal filed by the State of Kerala challenging the acquittal of the 35 men in the case.
The Kerala High Court had acquitted the persons who were already convicted by a special court in September 2000. The High Court had found only one person guilty of crime related to the sex trade and had sentenced him to five years in jail and a fine of Rs 50,000.
- 'Sophisticated' Indian cyberattacks targeted Pak military sites: Report
- Talkative Li quoted Weber, Hegel, Jobs, said PM is large-hearted
- Bihar food corp ends up with chaff as rice worth Rs 535 cr vanishes from mills
- In 7 lucrative minutes on May 9, Sreesanth bowled 6 balls, bookie made Rs 2.5 cr
- India and China ask border envoys to work on more steps
- Former Ranji player among 3 more held