Suryanelli case witness retracts statement
- BJP tears into UPA govt on 4th anniversary, says it lacks leadership
- Madras High Court issues notice to BCCI, Sports Minister over IPL spot-fixing
- Jessica Lal murder: Actor Shayan Munshi, ballistic expert Manocha to face perjury trial
- India seeks access from US to 26/11 terror convicts Headley, Rana
- Govt further cuts import tariff value of gold
Amidst the demand from various quarters for probing his alleged involvement in the Suryanelli rape case, Rajya Sabha Deputy Leader P J Kurien was on Tuesday embarrassed after a witness retracted his earlier statement.
BJP leader K S Rajan had deposed before the police in 1996 that he had visited Kurien at the house of one P K Idukkula at Thiruvalla at 7 pm on Feburary 19, making it impossible for Kurien to reach faraway Kumali at the same time to assault the girl. Rajan has now changed the statement. He told the media that he had met Kurien at 5 pm. He said that he had then stated the time of meeting Kurien was 7 pm as per the direction of a local Congress leader.
Kurien reacted that Rajan might have been under pressure to retract his statement.
Meanwhile, the wife of another witness challenged Kurien's tour plan on the contentious day in 1996.
Will raise SG resignation issue in House: BJP
The BJP on Tuesday took a grim view of Solicitor General Rohinton Nariman's resignation and said the party will raise the issue in the Parliament session. "We will ask the government in Parliament why this happened and they will have to answer," BJP leader Murli Manohar Joshi told reporters on Tuesday.
- Fixing probe now reaches Bollywood, son of Dara Singh held
- BCCI cashes Pune Warriors guarantee, 'disgusted' Sahara walks out of IPL
- Sreesanth spent Rs 1.95L on clothes, bought friend BlackBerry, paid in cash: Police
- Delhi firm with MoD as client is linked to Pak cyberattacks
- After Infosys, iGATE sacks Phaneesh Murthy for sexual misconduct
- 2 weeks after harassment, Haryana schoolgirls return, cops in tow