Sushil Kumar Shinde: Ram Singh committed suicide
- IPL spot-fixing case: Actor Vindoo Dara Singh arrested in Mumbai
- Supreme Court rules out ban on IPL matches, slams BCCI over spot-fixing
- Li Keqiang pitches for more Chinese investments as he backs trade balance
- Narendra Modi holds talks with Advani ahead of BJP's strategy meeting in Delhi
- Aarushi murder case: HC rejects Talwars' plea to examine 14 witnesses
Describing the death of the prime accused in the Delhi gangrape case in Tihar Jail as a "major security lapse", Union Home Minister Sushil Kumar Shinde today said preliminary inquiry suggested he committed suicide.
Addressing a press conference, he said the security in the Tihar jail will be reviewed in the wake of the alleged suicide of Ram Singh in Jail No 3 early this morning.
"There is a major security lapse...Preliminary inquiry suggests he committed suicide. However, we will wait for the enquiry to be completed," he said.
Asked about allegations that Singh was murdered, he said that is exactly wh a magesterial inquiry was orderded into the incident.
He said he has not received any request officially from Delhi government regarding transfer of administrative control of Delhi Police to the city government.
Delhi Chief Minister Sheila Dikshit has been vociferously demanding that the control of Delhi Police, other than security wing, should be with the city government.
Queried whether the Home Ministry will take steps to increase electronic surveillance in Tihar, he said jail does not come under his ministry.
- 'Sophisticated' Indian cyberattacks targeted Pak military sites: Report
- Talkative Li quoted Weber, Hegel, Jobs, said PM is large-hearted
- Bihar food corp ends up with chaff as rice worth Rs 535 cr vanishes from mills
- In 7 lucrative minutes on May 9, Sreesanth bowled 6 balls, bookie made Rs 2.5 cr
- India and China ask border envoys to work on more steps
- Former Ranji player among 3 more held