Swami Agnivesh manhandled for remarks against Lord Shiva
- Trouble mounts for Sreesanth as Mumbai cops gather more evidence
- SIT to seek Supreme Court guidance on Maya Kodnani death penalty issue
- Tamil Nadu police bans Yasin Malik-linked pro-Eelam public meeting
- Kings XI Punjab end IPL 2013 campaign with a win
- Narendra Modi: India losing sheen as agricultural nation
Social worker Swami Agnivesh was on Friday manhandled by activists of a local organisation in Bhopal for his alleged derogatory remarks against the Hindu god Shiva. The incident took place after a programme to launch the Maila Mukti Yatra in which Union Minister for Rural Development and Panchayati Raj Jairam Ramesh and Madhya Pradesh Chief Minister Shivraj Singh Chouhan were present.
Police immediately intervened and forced away the activists from the spot. "We protested against Agnivesh for his recent remarks against the Hindu god Shiva. We would not spare anyone, specially those wearing saffron robes, for acting in such a manner," Sanskriti Bachao Manch's convener Chandra Shekhar Tiwari said.
The Manch activists forcibly removed a cloth worn by Agnivesh and also tried to remove his headgear but could not, he admitted. Tiwari said the people of this country look upon those wearing saffron robes with great respect and if such persons engage in loose talk about gods, then it would not be tolerated.
The Manch activists forcibly removed a cloth worn by Agnivesh and also tried to remove his headgear but could not.
Later talking to reporters, Agnivesh said that he had pardoned those who were involved in the incident and that he would not like to comment on it.
- Destitute, orphan students outclass rest in Andhra Class 10 exams
- To re-energise ties, PM wants to visit US, waits for confirmation
- NIA court says no terror link, frees 'Hizbul militant' Liyaqat on bail
- CBI arrests its coal allotments investigator on bribery charge
- ‘Cricketer-bookie Amit may have used Jiju to reach Sree’
- BCCI chief N Srinivasan says police must prove spot-fixing allegations