Swami arrested for raping minor girl in ashram
- Trouble mounts for Sreesanth as Mumbai cops gather more evidence
- SIT to seek Supreme Court guidance on Maya Kodnani death penalty issue
- Tamil Nadu police bans Yasin Malik-linked pro-Eelam public meeting
- Kings XI Punjab end IPL 2013 campaign with a win
- Narendra Modi: India losing sheen as agricultural nation
An orphanage director was arrested for allegedly raping a 13-year-old girl inmate, police said.
Swami Poornananda (52) was apprehended under section section 376 (punishment for rape) of the IPC after the victim lodged a complaint against him, they said.
The accused is head of the city-based Swami Gnananda Ashram which houses an orphanage and old-age home.
He was picked up from the ashram premises along with a woman, police said.
It is suspected that the alleged incident might have taken some three months back as claimed by the girl, police said.
Meanwhile, members of a tribal students association thrashed the accused alleging that he had sexually assaulted other inmates of the shelter as well.
- Destitute, orphan students outclass rest in Andhra Class 10 exams
- To re-energise ties, PM wants to visit US, waits for confirmation
- NIA court says no terror link, frees 'Hizbul militant' Liyaqat on bail
- CBI arrests its coal allotments investigator on bribery charge
- ‘Cricketer-bookie Amit may have used Jiju to reach Sree’
- BCCI chief N Srinivasan says police must prove spot-fixing allegations