Swami Vivekananda example of leadership qualities: Jaya
- IPL spot-fixing: Chennai Super Kings owner's kin under police scanner
- BJP tears into UPA govt on 4th anniversary, says it lacks leadership
- Jessica Lal murder: Actor Shayan Munshi, ballistic expert Manocha to face perjury trial
- India seeks access from US to 26/11 terror convicts Headley, Rana
- BSE Sensex falls 49 pts, Larsen & Toubro Limited shares hit by Q4 data
Swami Vivekananda is an example of leadership qualities and charity, Tamil Nadu Chief Minister J Jayalalithaa said here today.
'Swami Vivekananda popularised the pride of Hinduism around the world. He taught self-respect and equality.Possessing extreme knowledge and will power, he was an example of leadership and charity,' she said.
Above all, he was a great patriot who exhorted the youth to join him in his quest for national development, she said at the 150th anniversary celebrations of Swami Vivekananda here.
Recalling from the Swami's life, she said his guru, Sri Ramakrishna Paramahamsa, had shown him that service to people was divine.
Lauding the spiritual service rendered by Sri Ramakrishna Mission, founded by Swami Vivekananda after his guru's demise, she said that it was involved in serving the nation, people and God. Jayalalithaa said even profit-oriented corporates earmark a part of their earnings towards social service these days.
'At the same time, there are some in this country who claim to be doing public service or being in public life but are selfish,' she said without naming anybody. Swami Vivekananda was a big inspiration for her even before she made her plunge into politics, she said, adding, that she had made a mention about him in an interview soon after joining politics.
'Swami Vivekananda did public service as an ascetic. On his footsteps, I have taken political renunciation to serve the people. I have no selfishness and I need nothing. I have no one. People of Tamil Nadu mean everything to me,' she said.
She layed foundation stone for a Cultural Trust by Sri Ramakrishna Mission here and announced Rs two crore for it on behalf of the Tamil Nadu government.
- Fixing probe now reaches Bollywood, son of Dara Singh held
- BCCI cashes Pune Warriors guarantee, 'disgusted' Sahara walks out of IPL
- Sreesanth spent Rs 1.95L on clothes, bought friend BlackBerry, paid in cash: Police
- Delhi firm with MoD as client is linked to Pak cyberattacks
- After Infosys, iGATE sacks Phaneesh Murthy for sexual misconduct
- 2 weeks after harassment, Haryana schoolgirls return, cops in tow