Tahawwur Rana sentenced to 14 years in jail
- Spot-fixing: Petition in SC seeks stay on IPL matches, demands SIT probe
- India, China call for end to incursion issue, sign 8 deals to boost ties
- Sanjay Dutt spends restless nights as officials yet to decide on his jail
- Aarushi murder case: Rajesh Talwar claims he was asleep when killings took place
- Yahoo! says will acquire Tumblr for $1.1 bn, eyes billion visitors mark
Rana is the first of the eight co-defendants who were indicted by the federal prosecutors in October, to be sentenced by the Chicago Court.
Sentencing of Headley has been scheduled for January 24. In March 2010, he pleaded guilty to all 12 counts against him, including aiding and abetting the murders of the six American victims.
Facing a maximum sentence of life in prison, Headley cooperated with the Government since he was arrested in October 2009, and testified as a Government witness at Rana's trial.
Among other six indicted by the FBI, include Ilyas Kashmiri, influential terrorist organisation leader in Pakistan who is in regular contact with of al-Qaeda leaders; and Abdur Rehman Hashim Syed (Abdur Rehman), a retired major in the Pakistani military, both of whom were charged in two conspiracy counts relating to the Denmark terrorism plot.
Following is the chronology of events leading to the
sentencing of Pakistani-Canadian Tahawwur Rana:
* November 26, 2008: Pakistan-based Lashker-e-Taiba terrorists attack.
* October 18, 2009: Tahawwur Hussain Rana and David Coleman Headley, who conducted reconnaissance of the targets of the 2008 Mumbai terror attacks for LeT, arrested for plotting attacks on the offices of the Danish newspaper Jyllands-Posten that had published cartoons of Prophet Mohammed, and of aiding LeT to carry out Mumbai attack that killed 166 people.
* May 16, 2011: Rana's trial commences in a Chicago court.
* June 9, 2011: Jury convicts Rana of supporting terrorism by providing material support to LeT and planning an aborted plot to bomb the Danish newspaper. The court acquits Rana of the third charge of involvement in 2008 Mumbai attacks.
* January 15, 2013: US prosecutors seek 30-year jail term for Rana.
* January 17, 2013: Rana sentenced to 14 years in jail.
- Former Ranji player among 3 more held
- Rajasthan Royals to file FIR against tainted trio
- If found guilty, BCCI to ask ICC to erase Sreesanth records
- Top cops among 42 named in death of blast accused
- Manmohan-Li talks: PM takes tough line on incursion issue
- Security forces blame Maoists, villagers say CoBRA man was killed in 'friendly fire'