Tamil Nadu fishermen attacked by Lankan Navy
In yet another incident, Sri Lankan Navy allegedly attacked some fishermen off Kodiakarai coast and damaged a boat, fisheries department officials said
The officials said eight fishermen of Arucottuthurai in Vedaranyam in the district complained that the Lankan Navy personnel attacked them last night.
Quoting the fishermen, they said 120 fishermen put to sea in 25 boats yesterday morning and when they were fishing off Kodiakarai in the night, Sri Lankan navy reportedly surrounded two of the boats. The Naval personnel jumped into the boats and allegedly attacked them with iron rods.One boat suffered damage, sources said.
The fishermen returned to the shore this morning and lodged a complaint with fisheries department officials. On September one,28 fishermen from Akkaraipettai village near Nagapattinam were detained by Lankan Naval personnel on the charge of entering the island waters in the Palk Strait but let-off after a stern warning.
In another incident on August 19, eight fishermen of Vedaranyam village in the district were injured in an attack allegedly by Sri Lankan naval personnel in mid-sea off Arukattuthurai.
Incidents of Tamil Nadu fishermen being "attacked" and detained by Lankan naval personnel have been reported in recent months and the state government had been demanding that the Centre take up the issue strongly with the neighbouring country.
- Fixing probe now reaches Bollywood, son of Dara Singh held
- BCCI cashes Pune guarantee, Sahara walks out of IPL
- 'Sree spent Rs 1.95L on clothes, bought friend BlackBerry'
- Delhi firm with MoD as client is linked to Pak cyberattacks
- After Infosys, iGATE sacks Phaneesh Murthy for sexual misconduct
- 2 weeks after harassment, Haryana schoolgirls return, cops in tow