Tamil Nadu leaders announce awards for CA topper
- IPL spot-fixing: Chennai Super Kings owner's kin under police scanner
- BJP tears into UPA govt on 4th anniversary, says it lacks leadership
- Jessica Lal murder: Actor Shayan Munshi, ballistic expert Manocha to face perjury trial
- India seeks access from US to 26/11 terror convicts Headley, Rana
- BSE Sensex falls 49 pts, Larsen & Toubro Limited shares hit by Q4 data
Political leaders in Tamil Nadu today praised Prema, daughter of an autorickshaw driver from the state, who topped the nationwide Chartered Accountant examinations, besides announcing awards for the girl.
Showering praises on Prema, Shipping Minister G K Vasan announced an award of Rs five lakh for her, noting that the girl's father Jayakumar, a native of Villupuram in Tamil Nadu migrated to Mumbai in search of a livelihood two decades ago.
"I personally feel that Prema's performance should set an example for others to study well", he said.
Vasan said he had ordered the Ennore Port to release the amount from its Corporate Social Responsibility programme to the girl. The minister said he had spoken to the girl's fatherand also congratulated Prema, who lives at Malad in Mumbai. Congratulating Prema, DMK president M Karunanidhi also announced a Rs one lakh award for her
- Fixing probe now reaches Bollywood, son of Dara Singh held
- BCCI cashes Pune Warriors guarantee, 'disgusted' Sahara walks out of IPL
- Sreesanth spent Rs 1.95L on clothes, bought friend BlackBerry, paid in cash: Police
- Delhi firm with MoD as client is linked to Pak cyberattacks
- After Infosys, iGATE sacks Phaneesh Murthy for sexual misconduct
- 2 weeks after harassment, Haryana schoolgirls return, cops in tow