Tata Motors looks to tie up with Qoros Auto Co
- IPL spot-fixing case: Actor Vindoo Dara Singh arrested in Mumbai
- IPL 2013 LIVE SCORE: Chennai Super Kings bat, Sachin Tendulkar still out
- Pune Warriors withdraw from IPL, 'disgusted' by BCCI's attitude
- IPL spot fixing: How Sreesanth splurged money on girlfriend
- Li Keqiang pitches for more Chinese investments as he backs trade balance
Talks of Tata Motors showing an interest in a tie up with Qoros Auto Co — a joint venture between Israel Corporation and China's Chery Automobile, pushed the shares of the company up by 1 per cent despite the overall market slipping by 0.4 per cent on Tuesday.
While the collaboration could provide Tata Motors with the required technology, the company is still in the red. It reported a fall of 52.21 per cent fall in consolidated net profit for the third quarter of financial year 2012-13 to Rs 16.3 billion compared with Rs 34.05 billion in the same quarter of last year.
While a Tata Group spokesperson denied any such development, a source at the Group said that talks are at a preliminary stage. The news was broken by an Israeli financial newspaper Globes on Tuesday.
Earlier this month, Ratan Tata, chairman emeritus of Tata Sons met the executives of Israel Corp during the launch of Qoros 3 sedan at the Geneva Motor show.
According to Reuters, Idan Ofer, the controlling shareholder of Israel Corp, at the motor show said, "Mr Tata spent half an hour here yesterday. He was quite amazed. He loved the car."
While Qoros is a joint venture between Israel Corp and Chery, Tata Motors too has a strategic partnership with Chery and they are preparing a joint factory in Changsha. Tata Motors acquired Jaguar and Land Rover in 2008 from Ford Motor Co at $2.3 billion.
While Tata Motors has been reported looking for an entry into the low-cost car segment in the European market, its experience with its existing passenger car variants even in the domestic market has fluctuated. The tie up could provide the company with the desired push and also help the company offer a better range of cars to Indian car buyers.
- 'Sophisticated' Indian cyberattacks targeted Pak military sites: Report
- Talkative Li quoted Weber, Hegel, Jobs, said PM is large-hearted
- Bihar food corp ends up with chaff as rice worth Rs 535 cr vanishes from mills
- In 7 lucrative minutes on May 9, Sreesanth bowled 6 balls, bookie made Rs 2.5 cr
- India and China ask border envoys to work on more steps
- Former Ranji player among 3 more held