Taxi association head arrested for extortion
- IPL spot-fixing case: Net widens, police watching 3 more players, other bookies
- IPL 2013: Imperious Brad Hodge powers Rajasthan Royals to qualifier
- Sonia Gandhi, PM Manmohan Singh slam BJP for disrupting Parliament, stalling bills
- IPL spot-fixing: 'Bookie' Vindoo was close to BCCI chief's son-in-law, say cops
- Jessica Lall case: Shayan Munshi to face perjury trial
Inspector Sachin Sawant of the anti-extortion cell said Khilare was threatening the contractor of the company
The chairman of a cab services association was arrested by the anti-extortion cell of Pune police crime branch for allegedly demanding Rs 3 lakh as extortion money and Rs 30,000 per month as hafta from a toll contractor in Khadki.
Sandip Krishna Khilare, 24, a resident of Hadapsar who heads the Lokmangal Cab Services Association was on Saturday arrested by the crime branch based on a complaint from a company that has been awarded the contract to collect entry tax in Khadki area.
Inspector Sachin Sawant of the anti-extortion cell said Khilare was threatening the contractor of the company that he would register a police complaint if he is not paid extortion amount of Rs 5 lakh which he later brought down to Rs 3 lakh after negotiations. The contractor paid him Rs 20,000 after Khilare threatened to harm him, police said adding that Khilare also demanded Rs 30,000 every month as hafta.
A team from the cell laid a trap and arrested Khilare when he had reached Holkar Bridge to collect the amount from the contractor. Khilare has several earlier offences registered against him, police said.
- Fixing probe now reaches Bollywood, son of Dara Singh held
- BCCI cashes Pune Warriors guarantee, 'disgusted' Sahara walks out of IPL
- Sreesanth spent Rs 1.95L on clothes, bought friend BlackBerry, paid in cash: Police
- Delhi firm with MoD as client is linked to Pak cyberattacks
- After Infosys, iGATE sacks Phaneesh Murthy for sexual misconduct
- 2 weeks after harassment, Haryana schoolgirls return, cops in tow