Taxi driver sentenced to life for kidnapping, killing 17-year-old
- IPL spot-fixing case: Actor Vindoo Dara Singh arrested
- IPL 2013: Final No.5 for MS Dhoni-led Chennai Super Kings
- Pune Warriors withdraw from IPL, 'disgusted' by BCCI's attitude
- IPL spot fixing: Accused Sreesanth claims innocence
- Li Keqiang visits TCS, Cyrus P Mistry says China important for growth of Tata Group
Additional sessions judge V P Sirohi on Monday sentenced a 20-year-old taxi driver, Parminder Singh, to life imprisonment for kidnapping and murdering a 17-year-old, Mandeep Kaur. The accused was also fined Rs 15,000.
On August 11, 2011, the mother of Mandeep, a student of Class IX, had approached the UT police complaining that her daughter had been missing since August 9, 2011. The UT police had registered a case. Later, the mother suspected that Parminder Singh, a resident of Ghataur Mohali, had abducted her daughter.
Mandeep was kidnapped by Parminder on her way back from Government Model Senior Secondary School, Sector 41, where she was studying. The accused then took her out of the city and developed physical relationship with her, promising to marry her. But Mandeep refused to go back home and insisted that the accused marry her.
The accused had taken the victim to Khanpur Park near Kharar when she had insisted on marrying him. Later, he dropped her near her residence but she again managed to go back to Parminder. He then took her to Ropar and pushed her into the Ropar canal on the night intervening August 10 and 11, 2011.
As soon as Parminder confessed to his crime, the police started a search operation for the victim's body on August 13, 2011 in Ropar canal but in vain. The police also recovered the car which was used by the accused to kidnap the victim.
Later, the police came to know about a body which was recovered by the Municipal Corporation of Tohana, a village in Fatehabad district of Haryana. The Tohana MC cremated the body on August 16, 2011 as unclaimed.
The mother of the deceased identified Mandeep's body from the pictures taken by the MC before she was cremated. The accused was convicted on February 2.
- 'Sophisticated' Indian cyberattacks targeted Pak military sites: Report
- Talkative Li quoted Weber, Hegel, Jobs, said PM is large-hearted
- Bihar food corp ends up with chaff as rice worth Rs 535 cr vanishes from mills
- In 7 lucrative minutes on May 9, Sreesanth bowled 6 balls, bookie made Rs 2.5 cr
- India and China ask border envoys to work on more steps
- Former Ranji player among 3 more held