TDP pitches for 33% reservation to BCs in Parliament
- IPL spot-fixing case: Actor Vindoo Dara Singh arrested
- IPL 2013: Final No.5 for MS Dhoni-led Chennai Super Kings
- Pune Warriors withdraw from IPL, 'disgusted' by BCCI's attitude
- IPL spot fixing: Accused Sreesanth claims innocence
- Li Keqiang visits TCS, Cyrus P Mistry says China important for growth of Tata Group
Committing itself to allot 100 out of 294 Assembly seats to Backward Classes in 2014 elections, the TDP today said it would exert pressure on the Centre to extend 33 per cent reservations to BCs in Parliament and State Legislatures.
"The TDP is always committed to the BCs. We want the government to extend 33 per cent reservation for BCs in Parliament and State Legislatures besides reservation for women. We will bring pressure on the Government in this regard," TDP President N Chandrababu Naidu announced, addressing the two-day meeting of party general body here today.
The TDP, if voted to power, would grant special budget for the uplift of the BCs, he promised.
Naidu was also critical of the Central government for inordinately delaying implementation of the Sachar Committee recommendations on Muslims.
Coming down heavily on the Congress government in Andhra Pradesh, the Leader of Opposition said 19,500 farmers committed suicide in the last eight years because of the inefficiency of the government.
"More than 879 mandals in the state were declared as drought-hit last season but so far the government failed to distribute to input subsidy, reschedule crop loans and provide fresh loans. Another drought is staring at the state and it would only compound the misery of the farmers, even as the government remains indifferent to their plight," Naidu said.
While 25,000 villages were facing drinking water crisis, liquor was freely flowing across the state due to the government's policy, he alleged.
It was due to the TDP's relentless fight that some MPs, Ministers and bureaucrats involved in corrupt deals were sent to jail, Naidu said.
The TDP would deliberate on a host of issues in the two-day meet and prepare suitable policies to make TDP battle-fit for the 2014 elections.
- 'Sophisticated' Indian cyberattacks targeted Pak military sites: Report
- Talkative Li quoted Weber, Hegel, Jobs, said PM is large-hearted
- Bihar food corp ends up with chaff as rice worth Rs 535 cr vanishes from mills
- In 7 lucrative minutes on May 9, Sreesanth bowled 6 balls, bookie made Rs 2.5 cr
- India and China ask border envoys to work on more steps
- Former Ranji player among 3 more held