Teen loses control over car, kills 45-year-old woman
- Rs 20L seized from Ajit Chandila relative's home, another ex-cricketer held
- Indian American teen Eesha Khare invents wondrous 20-sec charger, Google eyes bid
- India and China ask SRs to work on more border steps
- Can't charge man with rape over consensual sex even if marriage eludes: Supreme Court
- Saudi Arabian authorities refuse to accept new Indian passports
Accused flees after hitting another car, arrested from Malad home
A sixteen-year-old driving a luxury car crushed to death a 45-year-old woman at Link Road in Malad (West) on Sunday morning. Bangur Nagar police said the accused was returning home from a friend's birthday party at Madh Island. He is a resident of Orlem in Malad (West).
The teenager, driving his father's Skoda, had dropped a friend on his way and was alone in the car. Police said around 6.30 am, the woman, Anita Suresh Chauhan, was crossing the road opposite Gudiya Pada on Link Road when the speeding car crashed into her, dragging her to the side of the road.
The police booked the boy for death due to negligence and driving without a licence. He will be presented before the court on Monday. The police are now awaiting the medical reports of the boy to ascertain whether he was driving under the influence of alcohol.
The boy, a student of a Malad college, is the nephew of a trustee of a club in Goregaon, while his father is in the business of imitation jewellery. He told the police that he did not see the woman crossing the road.
According to the police, Chauhan was a sweeper and was going to dispose of the garbage from nearby buildings.
"The woman was killed on the spot. The boy, in an attempt to flee, took a sudden turn and crashed into a parked i10 belonging to a doctor. The couple was inside the car at that time. The doctor's wife suffered injuries on her head. The Skoda, however, came to a halt," said Raghunath Bagul, senior inspector.
The teenager panicked and fled. Police said the doctor had memorised the number of the Skoda, which he gave the police.
- 'Sophisticated' Indian cyberattacks targeted Pak military sites: Report
- Talkative Li quoted Weber, Hegel, Jobs, said PM is large-hearted
- Bihar food corp ends up with chaff as rice worth Rs 535 cr vanishes from mills
- In 7 lucrative minutes on May 9, Sreesanth bowled six balls, bookie made Rs 2.5 cr
- India and China ask border envoys to work on more steps
- Former Ranji player among 3 more held