Teenage girl ‘gangraped, set ablaze’
- Spot-fixing: Chandila was in touch with four sets of bookies, says Delhi Police
- Chinese Premier Li Keqiang arrives, to hold talks with PM on boundary, water issues
- IPL 2013: Delhi Daredevils crash to defeat, finish last
- Blast accused death: UP govt seeks CBI probe, FIR against 42 persons
- Hamid Karzai to seek Indian military aid amid Pakistan row
A girl was today admitted in SSKM hospital with severe burn injuries, with her father alleging that she had been set on fire after being gangraped.
The 14-year-old girl, admitted with 65 per cent burns in a semi-conscious state, is in critical condition, hospital sources said.
With both parents working, the girl used to stay at home in Baruipur's Bhata village and look after her two-year-old sibling. Yesterday afternoon, three local youths allegedly gangraped her at home and then tried to kill her by burning. A neighbourhood woman heard her cries and came to her rescue.
"While she was being taken to the hospital, she said that the trio had raped her," said a neighbour.
The father has lodged a complaint at Baruipur police station accusing the three youths of gangrape and attempt to murder.
Police officials, however, said there was a possibility of it being a suicide attempt. "A complaint has been booked and on its basis, three persons — 12-year-old Bappa Mondal, 15-year-old Sudghanshu Sarakar and 20-year-old Chotu Naskar —- have been arrested. A medical test has been conducted and results are awaited. We are yet to take the statement of the victim but the prima facie impression is that there has been no rape," said Deepak Sarkar, SDPO, Baruipur.
The girl's father is a rickshaw-puller and her mother works as a domestic help.
'Rape' in Dinajpur
A teenage girl was allegedly raped at Hemtabad village in North Dinajpur yesterday. The student of Islampur High Madrasah in Bangalbari was cutting grass at a nearby field when her neighbour Anwar Ali allegedly raped her in the field, police said.
"The girl was sent for a medical test and she tested positive," said Abhijit Dutta, OC, Hemtabad PS. A case under Section 376 IPC has been filed against the accused by the girl's father.
- Quake-hit and shaken, Bhaderwah spends nights in the open
- UP blast accused dies on way to jail, govt wanted to drop case against him
- Former civil aviation secy changes mind, seeks airport security exemption as EC
- BCCI suspects Gujarat players in other teams were also approached
- Police on money trail, Sreesanth in fresh trouble
- Chhattisgarh 'encounter' leaves 8 villagers dead, no Maoist link yet