Telcos cite loss, say money for CDRs justified
- IPL spot-fixing: Chennai Super Kings owner's kin under police scanner
- IPL 2013 LIVE SCORE: Sunrisers Hyderabad vs Rajasthan Royals
- Jessica Lall murder: Actor Shayan Munshi, ballistic expert Manocha to face perjury trial
- BJP tears into UPA govt on 4th anniversary, says it lacks leadership
- BCCI was forced to encash Pune Warriors' bank guarantee: Sanjay Jagdale
Telecom service providers have justified their demand of Rs 34 lakh for access to call data records (CDRs) of July 11, 2006, serial train blasts accused, saying they were suffering huge financial losses.
In an affidavit filed before a special MCOCA court, Tata Teleservices claimed: "The company is incurring losses. The loss in financial year 2012 was Rs 517.55 crore and accumulated losses on March 31, 2012, Rs 3,031.18 crore. If the cost of retrieving CDRs is not allowed to be recovered, the company, which is already incurring huge losses, and ultimately its more than 4.5 lakh shareholders would have to bear this cost."
Vodafone, Loop, Airtel and Tata Teleservices had told the court on February 14 that the accused would have to pay Rs 34 lakh if they wanted access to call records.
Thursday, they cited ailing financial balance sheets. The companies also said since the call data records were seven years old, retrieving would be a laborious task.
Defence opposed the demand for Rs 34 lakh saying the details had not been sought for personal consumption.
"We opposed the application made by these companies citing a Bombay High Court order. The data has been demanded for a judicial process. We only want the accused to get a fair trial," said defence lawyer Abdul Wahab Khan.
The 13 accused have sought production of the CDRs as the information was not annexed to the charge sheet filed in the case by Maharashtra anti-terrorism squad (ATS).
While the trial court rejected their application, Bombay High Court directed the MCOCA court in December last year to examine whether the CDRs could be recovered.
The blasts in first-class coaches of suburban trains killed 188 people and injured 817.
- Fixing probe now reaches Bollywood, son of Dara Singh held
- BCCI cashes Pune Warriors guarantee, 'disgusted' Sahara walks out of IPL
- Sreesanth spent Rs 1.95L on clothes, bought friend BlackBerry, paid in cash: Police
- Delhi firm with MoD as client is linked to Pak cyberattacks
- After Infosys, iGATE sacks Phaneesh Murthy for sexual misconduct
- 2 weeks after harassment, Haryana schoolgirls return, cops in tow