Thackeray stable now, says Uddhav
- BJP tears into UPA govt on 4th anniversary, says it lacks leadership
- Madras High Court issues notice to BCCI, Sports Minister over IPL spot-fixing
- Jessica Lal murder: Actor Shayan Munshi, ballistic expert Manocha to face perjury trial
- India seeks access from US to 26/11 terror convicts Headley, Rana
- Govt further cuts import tariff value of gold
The worsening health of Shiv Sena chief Bal Thackeray kept Mumbai on tenterhooks for the second consecutive day on Thursday, with party leaders trying hard to reassure followers treatment was working.
Sena executive president Uddhav made an appearance with wife Rashmi and sons Aditya and Tejas outside Matoshree, the Thackeray residence in Bandra, late in the night to tell an anxiously waiting crowd that Balasaheb was stable.
"Compared to yesterday, his health is stable. I have belief in god and am sure god will make him all right. I have not given up hope and even you should not. I have belief the strength of your prayers will make him better," he said.
Thackeray, who suffers from multiple heart, lung and pancreas problems, has been critical since Wednesday.
Shiv Sainiks thronged Matoshree late on Wednesday night after a team of doctors from Lilavati Hospital was rushed in.
As his health deteriorated, the Sena chief was briefly put on "life support", said party MP Sanjay Raut.
He responded to treatment and the support was taken off.
Sena spokesperson Neelam Gorhe said on Thursday: "He is stable, medicines are having the desired effect. People should not pay heed to rumours."
Another leader Diwakar Raote said: "He is fine now.
The family would like to convey its gratitude for the love and concern shown by the public."
Sources indicated immediate treatment by doctors helped improve the condition of Thackeray.
Meanwhile, several Hindi film actors, singers, industrialists and politicians called on the family. These included Rahul Bajaj and Venugopal Dhoot, Amitabh and Abhishek Bachchan, Manoj Kumar, Rishi and Randhir Kapoor, Salman, Salim and Arbaaz Khan, Nana Patekar, NCP chief Sharad Pawar, BJP national president Nitin Gadkari, Maharashtra governor K Sankaranarayanan and Chief Minister Prithviraj Chavan.
- Fixing probe now reaches Bollywood, son of Dara Singh held
- BCCI cashes Pune Warriors guarantee, 'disgusted' Sahara walks out of IPL
- Sreesanth spent Rs 1.95L on clothes, bought friend BlackBerry, paid in cash: Police
- Delhi firm with MoD as client is linked to Pak cyberattacks
- After Infosys, iGATE sacks Phaneesh Murthy for sexual misconduct
- 2 weeks after harassment, Haryana schoolgirls return, cops in tow