The ancient world at modern Hauz Khas village
- Spot-fixing: Chandila was in touch with four sets of bookies, says Delhi Police
- Chinese Premier Li Keqiang arrives, to hold talks with PM on boundary, water issues
- IPL 2013: Delhi Daredevils crash to defeat, finish last
- Blast accused death: UP govt seeks CBI probe, FIR against 42 persons
- Hamid Karzai to seek Indian military aid amid Pakistan row
Hauz khas means the royal tank. Originally called Hauz-e-ilahi, this tank excavated under the orders of Alauddin Khalji for the use of Siri, the city of Delhi founded by him.
After the end of Khalji dynesty, the channels leading to it got silted and it dried-up. Feroz shah Tughlaq restarted the water supply to the tank and built a madrasa around it. Here main complexes here are the mosque, which is currently closed for construction, the tomb and the madrasa.
The grave in the centre of the tomb is of Feroz Shah.
Students come from across India came to the madrasa to study and learn Arabic. The collage buildings are built of rubble masonry and quartzite. Most of the exterior was originally covered in white plaster and painted in bright colours with golden domes.
Rectangular cells for prayers and meditation were made from where the tank and garden were visible. The function of an unusual T-shaped building, are not known. Some say it was a tomb, but there are no traces of graves in it.
Hauz Khas is a educational place for students and history learners.
n Charu Saini IX – A
Hauz Khas village is a unique little urban village nestled in the city of cities — Delhi. Famous for its lake, greenery and 800 year old ruins from the second city of Delhi built by Feroz Shah Tughlaq in the 13th Century.
The village offers some of the most unique shops and concept restaurants. One can find antiques, old maps, posters, books and also highly visible designer and modern art galleries.
The monument facing the lake transports visitors to a different and serene world. Packed with all varieties, it is a place one can't miss in Delhi. Grab your bags, get ready with your family and make a trip to Hauz Khas Village.
- Quake-hit and shaken, Bhaderwah spends nights in the open
- UP blast accused dies on way to jail, govt wanted to drop case against him
- Former civil aviation secy changes mind, seeks airport security exemption as EC
- BCCI suspects Gujarat players in other teams were also approached
- Police on money trail, Sreesanth in fresh trouble
- Chhattisgarh 'encounter' leaves 8 villagers dead, no Maoist link yet