Hindu outfit up in arms against rocker Bob Geldof for his 'best drugs from Goa' remark
- Spot-fixing: Chandila was in touch with four sets of bookies, says Delhi Police
- Chinese Premier Li Keqiang arrives, to hold talks with PM on boundary, water issues
- IPL 2013: Delhi Daredevils crash to defeat, finish last
- Jaganmohan's wife attacks CBI, accuses it of working at Congress behest
- Blast accused death: UP govt seeks CBI probe, FIR against 42 persons
Irish rockstar Bob Geldof's remark that he got his "best drugs" from Goa has come under attack from a right wing Hindu organisation which has accused him of hurting national sentiments.
While tourism industry players in Goa have said that Geldof's statement was not in the context of current situation, the Hindu Janajagruti Samiti (HJS) has filed a complaint with the Irish embassy against the rocker.
Geldof, who was recently in Goa to participate in an event, had claimed that he was happy to be in the state which gave him the "best drugs".
He was referring to the era when he was 14-years-old and used to get drugs from Goa. "Someone told me that these drugs where from Goa," Geldof had told reporters.
Travel and Tourism Association of Goa (TTAG) President Fransisco de Braganza said that there was no need to take Geldof's statement as a judgement on the current situation.
"It is secondary evidence. He never came to Goa. Somebody told him that those drugs came from Goa. The time line is late 60s," Braganza said, adding we are all aware that there was hippie culture in Goa at that time.
"It was a different world. It is not a statement which relates to the present period," he added.
While the HJS has strongly opposed Geldof's statement.
In a letter to the Ireland Embassy in India at New Delhi and the Ireland Consulates in India and Indian Embassy in Ireland, the HJS demanded immediate action against Gedolf for hurting Indian sentiments.
"A renowned musician, social activist, Noble Peace Prize nominee and a Knight, during his first visit to Goa made controversial statements like 'I knew Goa for its image of beautiful women, drugs and serene beaches, Goa gave me the best drugs and...Goa and Drugs were completely one thing'."
- Former Ranji player among 3 more held
- Rajasthan Royals to file FIR against tainted trio
- If found guilty, BCCI to ask ICC to erase Sreesanth records
- Top cops among 42 named in death of blast accused
- Manmohan-Li talks: PM takes tough line on incursion issue
- Security forces blame Maoists, villagers say CoBRA man was killed in 'friendly fire'