Three car thieves arrested, 12 cases solved, say police
- Spot-fixing: Chandila was in touch with four sets of bookies, says Delhi Police
- Chinese Premier Li Keqiang arrives, to hold talks with PM on boundary, water issues
- IPL 2013: Delhi Daredevils crash to defeat, finish last
- Jaganmohan's wife attacks CBI, accuses it of working at Congress behest
- Blast accused death: UP govt seeks CBI probe, FIR against 42 persons
Three alleged car thieves were arrested on Monday. Police claimed to have solved over a dozen cases of vehicle thefts in the Capital.
The accused, identified as Arif Mohammad Akram,
Islam Nazir and Vipin Singh, were arrested after police received a tip-off.
According to police, Arif, the gang leader, selected vehicles to be stolen. Islam made a duplicate key for the car and Vipin dismantled stolen cars quickly, police said.
Additional Commissioner of Police (Southeast), Ajay Chawdhary said, "Anil Chauhan, a veteran carjacker, taught him how to make duplicate keys and steal vehicles. Both Arif and Anil Chauhan were arrested in a case of car theft in 2003. They continued stealing cars after being released in 2004. Arif later formed his own gang."
Chawdhary said, "After stealing the vehicle, Arif would deliver it to Vipin, who dismantled them in Aligarh, Uttar Pradesh. The dismantled articles and snatched valuables were then delivered to Usman for disposal. Arif and Islam used to take Rs 20,000 to 25,000 for every stolen vehicle. Vipin charged Rs 10,000 for dismantling the vehicle. Usman sold car parts to scrap dealers in Meerut." Chawdhary said. Police have registered a case against the accused.
- Quake-hit and shaken, Bhaderwah spends nights in the open
- UP blast accused dies on way to jail, govt wanted to drop case against him
- Former civil aviation secy changes mind, seeks airport security exemption as EC
- BCCI suspects Gujarat players in other teams were also approached
- Police on money trail, Sreesanth in fresh trouble
- Chhattisgarh 'encounter' leaves 8 villagers dead, no Maoist link yet