Mamata unhappy and astonished, demands rollback on diesel, LPG
- IPL spot-fixing: Chennai Super Kings owner's kin under police scanner
- IPL 2013 LIVE SCORE: Sunrisers Hyderabad vs Rajasthan Royals
- Jessica Lall murder: Actor Shayan Munshi, ballistic expert Manocha to face perjury trial
- BJP tears into UPA govt on 4th anniversary, says it lacks leadership
- BCCI was forced to encash Pune Warriors' bank guarantee: Sanjay Jagdale
Key UPA ally and Trinamool Congress chief Mamata Banerjee tonight said that she was unhappy and astonished at the diesel price hike and the decision on LPG and demanded immediate rollback.
"We are unhappy and astonished that inspite of the formation of the UPA coordination committee after a long time, such a decision was taken without consulting us," the West Bengal chief minister, said.
"The price of diesel has been increased by Rs 5 without any discussion. LPG has been limited to six cylinders annually, where four to five cylinders are required each month. Small households require three cylinders," she said.
"After withdrawal of the subsidy if one has to buy a cylinder for Rs 1,400 then how will one subsist?" she asked.
"If people do not mind, I will be most happy to withdraw support (to the UPA). If I withdraw support then other parties will provide support to them. And, then ask why we left the UPA which led to its collapse. People had misunderstood us when we had withdrawn support earlier.
"Therefore we are having a detailed discussion in the party on these issues," she said.
After discussions with the party at present it was decided that the government would have to withdraw the decisions.
"Withdraw the decision on diesel price hike and it will have to continue to give subsidy on LPG cylinders and people will buy it at the same rate as earlier," she said.
"The government will give subsidy on six cylinders per year for a family and they have to buy the rest at Rs 1400 per cylinder. In that case we have to think whether we will remain in this government," she said.
Stating that despite deprivations, the Trinamool Congress was in the government considering the people's interest, she said, "There is no fault from our side. Since we had spoken of a stable government before the Lok Sabha elections, we are with this government.
- Fixing probe now reaches Bollywood, son of Dara Singh held
- BCCI cashes Pune Warriors guarantee, 'disgusted' Sahara walks out of IPL
- Sreesanth spent Rs 1.95L on clothes, bought friend BlackBerry, paid in cash: Police
- Delhi firm with MoD as client is linked to Pak cyberattacks
- After Infosys, iGATE sacks Phaneesh Murthy for sexual misconduct
- 2 weeks after harassment, Haryana schoolgirls return, cops in tow