To fulfil Kalmadi last moment wish, Rs 71 lakh paid for Shilpa Shetty
- IPL spot-fixing case: Actor Vindoo Dara Singh arrested in Mumbai
- IPL 2013 LIVE SCORE: Chennai Super Kings bat, Sachin Tendulkar still out
- Pune Warriors withdraw from IPL, 'disgusted' by BCCI's attitude
- IPL spot fixing: How Sreesanth splurged money on girlfriend
- Li Keqiang visits TCS, Cyrus P Mistry says China important for growth of Tata Group
The court, which put sacked CWG Organising Committee chief Kalmadi and others on trial for the offences under various sections of the IPC and the Prevention of Corruption Act, observed that promoters of Faridabad-based Gem International, P D Arya and A K Madan, paid Rs 71.73 lakh to M/s Whiz Craft International Entertainment Pvt Ltd for Shetty's performance.
According to court sources, Arya and Madan, who were representing Swiss Timing, which was "illegally" awarded the contract to install Timing, Scoring and Results (TSR) system for the 2010 CWG at inflated rates, had paid the money which was "arranged beyond the scope of work".
Sources said the court, in its order, has noted that both the accused were associated with the CWG Youth Games 2008 and had paid Rs 71,73,950 at Kalmadi's instance through cheque on October 30, 2008 to Whiz Craft International Entertainment Pvt Ltd for Shetty's performance.
Besides Kalmadi, Special CBI Judge Ravinder Kaur also framed charges against OC Secretary General Lalit Bhanot, Arya, Madan and others for criminal conspiracy, forgery, cheating and other offences entailing life imprisonment as maximum punishment.
The accused were chargesheeted by the CBI for "illegally" awarding a contract to install TSR system for the 2010 Games to Swiss Timing at inflated rates causing a loss of over Rs 90 crore to the exchequer.
The court had on December 21, 2012 passed the order on framing of charges under various provisions of the IPC and the PC Act against Kalmadi and other accused in the case.
- 'Sophisticated' Indian cyberattacks targeted Pak military sites: Report
- Talkative Li quoted Weber, Hegel, Jobs, said PM is large-hearted
- Bihar food corp ends up with chaff as rice worth Rs 535 cr vanishes from mills
- In 7 lucrative minutes on May 9, Sreesanth bowled 6 balls, bookie made Rs 2.5 cr
- India and China ask border envoys to work on more steps
- Former Ranji player among 3 more held