To register marriage, get Aadhaar first
- Sreesanth, Jiju Janardhan lived in independently booked rooms: Cops
- India to convey concerns over Ladakh incursion to Chinese Premier
- IPL 2013 LIVE SCORE: Maxwell falls early in stiff run-chase
- Narendra Modi: India losing sheen as agricultural nation
- Rajapaksa slams Tamil diaspora for lack of support in reconciliation process
When a Delhi couple went to get their marriage registered at the office of the Kapashera sub-divisional magistrate on Tuesday morning, their request was turned down. They were told they lacked an eligibility criterion — they did not have Aadhaar cards.
An order, which came into effect on January 1, clearly states that "the Aadhaar card information of applicants should be mentioned in the prescribed application forms for registration of marriages under the Hindu Marriage Act; registration of marriages under Special Marriage Act; solemnisation of marriages; and registration of various documents in the sub-registrar's office".
This also means that all services by Delhi government's revenue department will compulsorily require the applicant to have an Aadhaar card.
On the other hand, the Central government mandate says the unique identification (UID) or 'Aadhaar' is not mandatory for Indian citizens.
Apart from registration and solemnisation of marriages, the notification issued by Rajiv Kumar, SDM (HQ), dated December 20, 2012, states that guidelines pertaining to integration of Aadhaar numbers for various services would include "issue of certificates for SC/ST, OBC, income, nationality, domicile, surviving member and solvency; as well as issue of delayed birth and death orders".
By an order dated January 18, a partial modification was introduced in the notification stating that compulsory Aadhaar card information "in respect of income certificates of economically weaker section category students, is ordered to be kept in abeyance till further orders".
Future applications will be accepted only if the applicant's name, photo and address on the Aadhaar card matches with the details provided on the form, the notification states.
Meanwhile, the couple at the Kapashera SDM's office managed to get their marriage registered in the afternoon after they stood in queue and got themselves enrolled for Aadhaar.
Where you can get an Aadhaar card
- Destitute, orphan students outclass rest in Andhra Class 10 exams
- To re-energise ties, PM wants to visit US, waits for confirmation
- NIA court says no terror link, frees 'Hizbul militant' Liyaqat on bail
- CBI arrests its coal allotments investigator on bribery charge
- ‘Cricketer-bookie Amit may have used Jiju to reach Sree’
- BCCI chief N Srinivasan says police must prove spot-fixing allegations