Trial begins, family wants death for juvenile
- Spot-fixing: Chandila was in touch with four sets of bookies, says Delhi Police
- Chinese Premier Li Keqiang arrives, to hold talks with PM on boundary, water issues
- IPL 2013: Delhi Daredevils crash to defeat, finish last
- Jaganmohan's wife attacks CBI, accuses it of working at Congress behest
- Blast accused death: UP govt seeks CBI probe, FIR against 42 persons
As the trial in the Delhi gangrape case began here on Tuesday, the brother and the father of the deceased victim urged the government not to let the minor accused be tried as a juvenile.
"I believe that all boys who have attained the age of 14 are conscious of their acts and cannot be treated as juvenile. And we demand that all the accused who are involved in a crime this heinous should be given the death sentence," said the brother at a press conference.
The father urged that his daughter be treated as a "braveheart" rather than a victim. "I have stopped reading newspapers and watching television. I hate it when they keep calling her a victim. She has sacrificed herself, started a revolution. She laid her life so that the world could wake up to the rights of women," he said.
He also thanked the BJP for naming a science museum after her. The party said it had got a written undertaking from the family to use her name for the centre. The father said the family had asked the Delhi BJP chief to do something in her memory. "We were glad to authorise them. She should get her deserved place in society," said the father.
The press conference was called by the BJP to announce the museum.
Asked about the J S Verma report, both the father and brother said they were ignorant of the committee's recommendations and said all they wanted to hear was awarding of death penalty to the six who attacked their family member.
The father revealed that the visit of Congress president Sonia Gandhi and vice-president Rahul Gandhi had come as a surprise. "We had been putting in requests to meet them but we did not expect them to come to us in person," added the father.
- Former Ranji player among 3 more held
- Rajasthan Royals to file FIR against tainted trio
- If found guilty, BCCI to ask ICC to erase Sreesanth records
- Top cops among 42 named in death of blast accused
- PM takes tough line on incursion issue
- Security forces blame Maoists, villagers say CoBRA man was killed in ‘friendly fire’