Two Engineering students crushed to death
- Sreesanth, Jiju Janardhan lived in independently booked rooms: Cops
- India to convey concerns over Ladakh incursion to Chinese Premier
- IPL 2013 LIVE SCORE: Maxwell falls early in stiff run-chase
- Narendra Modi: India losing sheen as agricultural nation
- Rajapaksa slams Tamil diaspora for lack of support in reconciliation process
Two Engineering college students travelling on the footboard of a bus were crushed to death while another was injured today when a sand-laden lorry hit their bus near here, police said.
Salem Superintendent of Police Aswin Kotnis said the deceased was 19-year-old second year BE students while the injured was a 20-year-old final year student.
The private bus was proceeding from Attur to Salem.
In December, in a similar accident four students were crushed to death in Chennai prompting the Madras High Court to take a suo motu cognizance of the accident.
The court has proposed that if any student is found travelling on the footboard, the matter may be reported not only to the parents of the concerned student, but also to the Principal of the educational institution concerned.
"..and if he repeats the same thing for the second or third time, the school may take action for removal of such students, after notice to the parent," a Division Bench had said.
Hearing on the proceedings are continuing
- Destitute, orphan students outclass rest in Andhra Class 10 exams
- To re-energise ties, PM wants to visit US, waits for confirmation
- NIA court says no terror link, frees 'Hizbul militant' Liyaqat on bail
- CBI arrests its coal allotments investigator on bribery charge
- ‘Cricketer-bookie Amit may have used Jiju to reach Sree’
- BCCI chief N Srinivasan says police must prove spot-fixing allegations