Two held for murder of former roadways mechanic
- Trouble mounts for Sreesanth as Mumbai cops gather more evidence
- SIT to seek Supreme Court guidance on Maya Kodnani death penalty issue
- Tamil Nadu police bans Yasin Malik-linked pro-Eelam public meeting
- Kings XI Punjab end IPL 2013 campaign with a win
- Narendra Modi: India losing sheen as agricultural nation
The Jalandhar Commissionerate police on Friday arrested two persons for the murder of Chaman Lal, a 62-year-old former head mechanic of Punjab Roadways, who went missing on January 18.
Three days after his went missing, the police recovered a body from near the Jamsher dairy complex, following which, a case under Sections 302 and 201 of the IPC was registered against unidentified persons.
The accused have been identified as Asha Rani, a resident of Model House and her live-in paramour Amit Kumar from Baba Deep Singh Nagar. Both married, Asha and Amit have have two children each. "Call details of the deceased's cellphone helped us solve the case," ADCP (City II) Paramjit Singh Bhandal said.
During interrogation, Asha Rani said she became involved with Chaman Lal three to four months ago. However, sometime ago, Chaman Lal expressed his desire to marry her younger daughter.
Following this, Asha Rani hatched a plan with Amit to kill Chaman Lal. On January 18, she called Chaman Lal to her place and offered him a coffee laced with sleeping pills. When he fell unconscious, the accused took him to the Pholriwal-Jamsher link road where he was strangled.
Before killing him, Asha and Amit removed a gold chain, rings and other valuables from his body.
- Quake-hit and shaken, Bhaderwah spends nights in the open
- UP blast accused dies on way to jail, govt wanted to drop case against him
- Former civil aviation secy changes mind, seeks airport security exemption as EC
- BCCI suspects Gujarat players in other teams were also approached
- Police on money trail, Sreesanth in fresh trouble
- Chhattisgarh 'encounter' leaves 8 villagers dead, no Maoist link yet