Unaffected by plush stores, customers throng age-old khadi shops
- IPL spot-fixing case: Actor Vindoo Dara Singh arrested in Mumbai
- IPL 2013 LIVE SCORE: Chennai Super Kings bat, Sachin Tendulkar still out
- Pune Warriors withdraw from IPL, 'disgusted' by BCCI's attitude
- IPL spot fixing: How Sreesanth splurged money on girlfriend
- Li Keqiang visits TCS, Cyrus P Mistry says China important for growth of Tata Group
Khadi garments may be adorning the racks of a number of shops at big malls but it is far from affecting the old khadi showrooms in the city.
Exclusive khadi shops are doing it all to woo customers. Apart from offering competitive prices, they are also taking up innovative designs to match the market.
In fact, shops such as Rashtriya Khadi Bhandar, Maheshwari Khadi Bhandar, Janata Khadi Bhandar, Gandhi Khadi Bhandar and others, which are more than 50 years old, are flourishing.
At Rashtriya Khadi Bhandar, a 70-year-old shop in Budhwar Peth, innovative designs have helped them survive the market. "The readymade garments at our shop are priced 30 per cent less than the shops at the malls. We have started manufacturing garments as per market trends specially for the youngsters. Short pathanis, short kurtas, long kurtas and short shirts are all sold here," said Sunil Biyani, owner.
He added that the shop is planning to launch its website soon. On the occasion of Gandhi Jayanti, the shop is offering a 20 per cent discount. "The sale in October is 40 per cent more than than the other months."
Janata Khadi Bhandar, a 60-year-old shop had a 50 per cent increase in sales recently. "The stores at big malls keep around 100 odd pieces of readymade garments and we offer variety in thousands. We offer garments in double-tone shades which are in high demand," said Shreenivas Sham Jannu, owner.
Pankaj Sarda of Maheshwari Khadi Bhandar said that it's the originality of the fabric that gives exclusive khadi stores an edge over other shops.
"At the same time, we need to adapt according to the market demands and keep offering garments that are new. We stock kurtas and pathanis in many varieties for both men and women," he said.
- 'Sophisticated' Indian cyberattacks targeted Pak military sites: Report
- Talkative Li quoted Weber, Hegel, Jobs, said PM is large-hearted
- Bihar food corp ends up with chaff as rice worth Rs 535 cr vanishes from mills
- In 7 lucrative minutes on May 9, Sreesanth bowled 6 balls, bookie made Rs 2.5 cr
- India and China ask border envoys to work on more steps
- Former Ranji player among 3 more held