Undertrial, ‘thief’ attempt suicide behind bars
- Trouble mounts for Sreesanth as Mumbai cops gather more evidence
- SIT to seek Supreme Court guidance on Maya Kodnani death penalty issue
- Tamil Nadu police bans Yasin Malik-linked pro-Eelam public meeting
- Kings XI Punjab end IPL 2013 campaign with a win
- Narendra Modi: India losing sheen as agricultural nation
In two separate incidents, an undertrial prisoner and a man lodged in police custody attempted suicide in Surat on Tuesday. Both were rushed to the New Civil Hospital where they were declared out of danger.
Police said the undertrial prisoner, Ajit Rathod (32), a resident of Uttran village at Amroli in Surat, attempted suicide after allegedly being mentally and physically harassed by jail inmates. A suspect in a murder case, Rathod attempted suicide by consuming soap in a bathroom in the judicial custody lodged in Lajpore Central Jail.
In his statements to police, he disclosed that he was mentally and physically harassed by other prisoners in the jail and they even once tried to sexually assault him. Since then he was under depression and was scared of them in the jail, said B R Harpati police Sub-Inspector of Sachin police station.
In second incident, Nirav Munshi (35), a suspect in a cheating case consumed phenyle meant for cleaning toilets in Athwalines police station. Inspector D D Damore said, "We called Nirav for questioning as a complaint of cheating was lodged against him. He runs computer hardware business in Nanpura area. We will arrest him after he gets discharge from the hospital."
- Quake-hit and shaken, Bhaderwah spends nights in the open
- UP blast accused dies on way to jail, govt wanted to drop case against him
- Former civil aviation secy changes mind, seeks airport security exemption as EC
- BCCI suspects Gujarat players in other teams were also approached
- Police on money trail, Sreesanth in fresh trouble
- Chhattisgarh 'encounter' leaves 8 villagers dead, no Maoist link yet