Unsure of 'numbers', govt deliberately wrecking proceedings in Rajya Sabha: BJP
- Spot-fixing: Chandila was in touch with four sets of bookies, says Delhi Police
- Chinese Premier Li Keqiang arrives, to hold talks with PM on boundary, water issues
- IPL 2013: Delhi Daredevils crash to defeat, finish last
- Jaganmohan's wife attacks CBI, accuses it of working at Congress behest
- Blast accused death: UP govt seeks CBI probe, FIR against 42 persons
BJP today accused the government of allowing disruption of the Rajya Sabha proceedings as it is "unsure of its figures" in the House.
"Government is unsure of its figures in the Upper House. Both the government and its allies including those outside supporters are disrupting the House everyday," BJP leader Arun Jaitley told reporters outside Parliament.
Rajya Sabha adjourned for the day today after disruptions over quota in promotion for SC/ST in government.
"No Opposition members are disrupting the House. Nobody from the Opposition has gone into the well of the House. We are waiting every morning so that scheduled business can come in. It is the government members and those supporting the government, who disturb the House. This has happened for the last few days and whole country has seen it," he said.
Suspecting government intention to run the House, Jaitley said, "I have a lurking suspicion that the government is unsure of which way the Rajya Sabha will vote and that is why it has no serious intention to allow Rajya Sabha to conduct its business."
Seeking a response from Prime Minister Manmohan Singh on the issue, he said, "We have requested the chairman of the Rajya Sabha to call the Leader of the House that is the PM, asking him to make a candid statement whether the government wants the Rajya Sabha to conduct its business or not. Because you can't have day after day the government disturbing the Parliament."
Jaitley, who is also the Opposition leader in the Upper House, further said, "Rajya Sabha is not functioning due to the government's attitude. Rajya Sabha schedules are prepared and we are ready for discussion as per the schedule. But despite this Rajya Sabha is disrupted due to the government."
- Former Ranji player among 3 more held
- Rajasthan Royals to file FIR against tainted trio
- If found guilty, BCCI to ask ICC to erase Sreesanth records
- Top cops among 42 named in death of blast accused
- PM takes tough line on incursion issue
- Security forces blame Maoists, villagers say CoBRA man was killed in ‘friendly fire’